Completed my 1st 100miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sayek1

Did the Trossachs Ton on Sunday and really enjoyed it. The route was fantatstic with great scenery, challenging hills and only a few miles of pot-holes (Loch Katrine to Aberfoyle) and a few miles of busy roads (Aberfoyle to Balfron turn). The organisation was great and the refuelling provisions at the three stops was way beyond my expectations.

Considering my lack of prep which consisted of plenty of 40mile round commutes but only 4 or 5 x 60 milers (nothing beyond) I was pleasantly surpised at my result - I think about 6hrs 45 cycling with about 1.5 hours eating jelly beans, flapjack & pasta at the various stops!

My advice to anyone thinking of doing their first 100miler would be to do the following;

1) Go at your own pace - do not be tempted to push even a slight bit faster than you feel comfortable and risk burn out - a group of us split up very quickly as we all had different natural rythms but there are loads of other groups to tag onto.
2) Drink and eat plenty - I consumed 8 x 750ml bottles in total - it was hot in the afternoon and I perspire a lot!
3) Try to join a group that you can draft (and take your turn at the front) to ease the effort - with over 500 riders there was lots of opportunities for this and everyone seemed to be very friendly about this type of thing
4) Take your time on the hills - I went up these extremely slowly and was overtaken by everyone (except the King of the Mountains!!!!), but felt I was able to make sure I didnt blow myself out on the 2 or 3 tough climbs.

For someone who weighs 16.5 stone and isn't particularly fit and relatively new into cycling I am now hooked - already looking at getting another couple in before the end of Sept out of PFS, Ken Laidlaw, Selkirk Sportive, Break for Border, Tweedale etc - any recommendations?

Good luck to anyone doing their 1st 100 miler - its a great feeling to finish it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done Sayek, now time to start planning your next one.

Well done Sayek. PFS is a bit of a free for all (chaotic), too many people on the 55 miler at least; the 100 miler is new but people who know the roads don't seem to be impressed. Of the Sportives you list I've only done the Ken Laidlaw but out of the rides I've done it has been the best organised and the food stops are great. IIRC you get a decent polo shirt for doing it and free photos plus other stuff too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:thumbsup: sayek1 - a happy :biggrin: !

Some good advice there too for new-to-the-100-mile people :biggrin:.

Regarding your future rides:
- PfS has become a bit of a victim of its own success. As HLaB (a PfS expert ;)) has said, it's a bit too crowded, with masses of inexperienced cyclists riding all over the place - it can be quite hairy if you are wanting to keep going at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't recommend it for those reasons.

Selkirk CycleOps Bike Sportive is a good one. I did it last year for the first time (post #19) and found it a good challenge. The MTB event on the Sunday is massive, with big mobile homes/campervans from all over Europe.
Recommended.

The Ken Laidlaw is a step up from the Selkirk event. I did it last year too, after persuasion from fellow riders on the Selkirk ride. It was the toughest (and longest) ride I had done up till then, I had some knees problems ... but it is a great event. Excellent organisation and signage, showers/meal/polo shirt and free photos - "what's not to like" - but you certainly earn it :biggrin:. I'm doing it again this year.
Recommended (but it is a toughie ;))

I don't know either of the other two.

Hope to see/meet you at something soon :biggrin:

scook94

Veteran
scoosh said:
:thumbsup: sayek1 - a happy :biggrin: !

Some good advice there too for new-to-the-100-mile people :biggrin:.

Regarding your future rides:
- PfS has become a bit of a victim of its own success. As HLaB (a PfS expert ;)) has said, it's a bit too crowded, with masses of inexperienced cyclists riding all over the place - it can be quite hairy if you are wanting to keep going at a reasonable pace. I wouldn't recommend it for those reasons.

Selkirk CycleOps Bike Sportive is a good one. I did it last year for the first time (post #19) and found it a good challenge. The MTB event on the Sunday is massive, with big mobile homes/campervans from all over Europe.
Recommended.

The Ken Laidlaw is a step up from the Selkirk event. I did it last year too, after persuasion from fellow riders on the Selkirk ride. It was the toughest (and longest) ride I had done up till then, I had some knees problems ... but it is a great event. Excellent organisation and signage, showers/meal/polo shirt and free photos - "what's not to like" - but you certainly earn it :biggrin:. I'm doing it again this year.
Recommended (but it is a toughie ;))

I don't know either of the other two.

Hope to see/meet you at something soon :biggrin:

I was just this very minute going to post if anyone was doing it this year! I'm quite tempted...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
scook94 said:
I was just this very minute going to post if anyone was doing it this year! I'm quite tempted...
It would be a good one for you, Steven - build your confidence for the KL.

<needs to talk to Mrs Scoosh about it ..... :thumbsup:>

OP
OP
S

sayek1

Thanks for the advice Scoosh. I am almost 95% certain I will do the Selkirk Sportive - weekend looks to be free and the set-up looks good. I can then think about what to do in Aug/Sep after that.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks

scook94

Veteran
sayek1 said:
Thanks for the advice Scoosh. I am almost 95% certain I will do the Selkirk Sportive - weekend looks to be free and the set-up looks good. I can then think about what to do in Aug/Sep after that.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks

I may well see you there too then! Going to try and book the day before off work so I can stop over as I think the drive to Selkirk on the day may be too long for such an early start.

Maybe see you on the Ken Laidlaw on 22nd August too?

OP
OP
S

sayek1

Great. I'm looking forward to it. Does anyone know how the hills compare to the Tross Ton - are they longer/steeper. Its just mentally I'd like to know what to expect - I'm not one for big surprises..........

Luckily on the TT I knew there was another hill (or 3 or 4) after the Crow Road or that would have really frustrated me. Whilst I was extremely slow on the TT hills I'd just like to know if they are any steeper and how much longer/shorter on the Sel Sp.

Thanks

Top Bottom