Completed my First Aid course today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi
I just completed my First Aid course today at work.I've never done one before and it was spread over 3 days.
I found it to be very interesting and quite enjoyable,but not being the sharpest knife in the box I did find there was a lot to take in within the 3 days.Anyway I passed with flying colours getting only one question wrong in the final test, but I think the booklet provided on the given course will be read a few times before everything finally sinks into my few and far brain cells

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Well done for passing and well done for doing it. We struggle at work to get people to volunteer to do this, I usually end up having to bribe people to volunteer.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thankyou @Supersuperleeds .
I all honesty it can be quite daunting,if you haven't done one before.At the moment my main worry is that "what happens if I were to do the wrong thing in the event of treating someone.Thats why I'm going to read and re-read the booklet that was given to me to get everything ingrained into me.
It was an interesting course though,and learnt alot of things across the days.

Slick

Guru
I've always held the 3 day qualification for work. I reckon everyone should have at least the one day course, as you say, you never know the day. Also, don't worry about everything sinking in, its not really about that. Basically all you would be required to do is take charge in any situation and try and ensure nobody dies until the professionals get there.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If you see a small cut on some ones leg do you a) stick a plaster on it, or b) amputate ?

Only joking, well done @johnnyb47 :bravo:

I thought that was if the person has a headache? 😆

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Hi
I just completed my First Aid course today at work.I've never done one before and it was spread over 3 days.
I found it to be very interesting and quite enjoyable,but not being the sharpest knife in the box I did find there was a lot to take in within the 3 days.Anyway I passed with flying colours getting only one question wrong in the final test, but I think the booklet provided on the given course will be read a few times before everything finally sinks into my few and far brain cells

Well done there. I've been a First-Aider at work for 10 years and the worst accident I tended to was a sprained wrist :blush: .
It is a lot to take in, but each re-train every 3 years gets easier.

One thing though...every time we get to play with the old resuscitation dolls & I do the heart massage, I always think of that darned 'defib scene' in John Carpenters The Thing movie.:eek:.....if you've never seen it, might put you off!!:laugh:

Slick

Guru
The only time I tried CPR it failed. I was told that even if she'd collapsed In A&E they wouldn't have been able to save her. She was only 13 and seven years on it sits heavily on my soul.

Regardless of ifs and buts, you did everything you could, well done. 👍

I do understand how that would affect you though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Intellectually I know it, but emotionally at so many levels it haunts me to this day.

I've 4 daughters of my own and having to look another man on the eye and tell him I wasn't good enough to save his little girl was the most horrendous experience. I think about it every single day.

I'd do it again - soldier and copper for so I'm programmed to act - but it's a lot of baggage to carry.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The only time I tried CPR it failed. I was told that even if she'd collapsed In A&E they wouldn't have been able to save her. She was only 13 and seven years on it sits heavily on my soul.

Holy smokes 😳 I’m a first aider too. Just did my 2 day refresher a couple of weeks ago. The above would fry my brain too without doubt.

Top Bottom