Completed my First Aid course today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've done gun shots, stabbings, all sorts of messy stuff and had people die on me before, but a little girl having an extreme allergic reaction to I-know-not-what just broke my brain. Her family were lovely and invited me to the funeral and I was with the close family for the church service and the cremation and I blubbed the whole way though.

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. First aid is a noble skill to acquire, and I salute you @johnnyb47 .

Slick

Guru
Intellectually I know it, but emotionally at so many levels it haunts me to this day.

I've 4 daughters of my own and having to look another man on the eye and tell him I wasn't good enough to save his little girl was the most horrendous experience. I think about it every single day.

I'd do it again - soldier and copper for so I'm programmed to act - but it's a lot of baggage to carry.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid being condescending as I do know about the baggage you mention. Yes its tough, but we soldier on.

I often think I really need to speak to someone, maybe you should consider it too.

Not everyone would or could act, so take solace in that.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I was latterly on permanent night shift in the prison service and management decided to remove medical cover overnight, so we had to be trained. Sadly my one time giving CPR was also without joy. Technically got her out with a heart beat but the brain had been starved of oxygen for too long so life support was switched off a couple of days later. Just 19 years old.

DRHysted

Guru
Due to the nature of where I work there are quite a number of fist aiders, which does reduce the stress of the role. We’re also O2 therapy, Defibrillator, and major haemorrhage trained, but our courses are done by an ex London paramedic who’s seen or done it all, so it goes in surprisingly easily.

Top Bottom