Completely off road linking B&Bs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi all,
Whenever we can get round to this I don't know but I've always liked the idea of planning an off road ride with an overnight stop that links towns and therefore bed and breakfast establishments using an absolute minimum (almost zero) use of roads. Ideally in mid/north Wales.
Have any of you folks got any ideas? Probably about 30-40 miles between each.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
If you fancied doing it in the Midlands it would be quite easy on the canal tow paths. I think, in theory you can ride from London to Birmingham (or the other way round if you are mad) all the way on tow paths.

PK99

Legendary Member
1652116081934.png

Trans cabrian way fits the bill

Hi all,
Whenever we can get round to this I don't know but I've always liked the idea of planning an off road ride with an overnight stop that links towns and therefore bed and breakfast establishments using an absolute minimum (almost zero) use of roads. Ideally in mid/north Wales.
Have any of you folks got any ideas? Probably about 30-40 miles between each.

When I rode my pony along the Welsh/English border about 12 years ago, the region around the border in Shropshire was fantastic for bridleways and the sort of lanes which are no more than a cart track, winding through wonderful hamlets with names like New Invention. I've often thought of going back. and basing myself near Knighton, Montgomery or Bishops Castle to just wander around the countryside on both sides of the border ...

@Teamfixed - you can see the OS maps on Geograph; the OS maps are the only reliable guide to legal status for the paths. Although it's easier on a bike as you can lift it over stiles when the BW status suddenly changes at a county or parish boundary ...
I found the bridleways in the areas I mentioned to be accessible and little used. My pony was unshod so roadwork was very carefully 'rationed' as we were doing significant mileage and I had no problems in that area.
Just look at the abundance of less-than-road, more-than-FP status tracks on the OS maps around the area I described above for instance from Knighton you could access the Jack Mytton Way (all bridleway) the Offas Dyke path and the heart of wales line trail, both of which have some BW segments going 'outwards' from Knighton. Bishop's Castle might be a good place too, I met a mature age couple there at a campsite/B&B which was in the middle of a network of bridlepaths. They were riding the bridleways on a tandem mountain-bike-lite thing, and I raced them along a path; I won going up but they won going down the other side!

You will never do it without some road use but as long as you avoid 'major' roads (which I managed to do except for once or twice in the entire journey) at least the roads in that area are little trafficed and I found such road users as there were to be without exception courteous and careful.

Cymro74

I live in South Wales and try to plan similar trips myself. Definitely possible to leave from places like Cardiff, Neath or Brecon and head out above the Valleys and into Beacons along off-road NCN routes and endless miles of Forestry Commission tracks and windfarm tracks.
Mid Wales is also great, but as it is so remote there may be fewer choices of tracks and b&b. You coul try linking Llyn Brianne, Claerwen and through forestry to Machynlleth.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I live in South Wales and try to plan similar trips myself. Definitely possible to leave from places like Cardiff, Neath or Brecon and head out above the Valleys and into Beacons along off-road NCN routes and endless miles of Forestry Commission tracks and windfarm tracks.
Mid Wales is also great, but as it is so remote there may be fewer choices of tracks and b&b. You coul try linking Llyn Brianne, Claerwen and through forestry to Machynlleth.

That great thanks. We love Brecon.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
That great thanks. We love Brecon.

Check out the Taff Trail (if you haven't already) then down Monmouthshire/Brecon canal.

OP
OP
Teamfixed

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Check out the Taff Trail (if you haven't already) then down Monmouthshire/Brecon canal.

I've got a little route planned (not all off-road this time tho) from Brecon along the Mon/Brecon canal to Crickhowell then up over Capel-y-ffin to Hay for a night and return to Brecon next day. Hopefully get my other half into the idea of an overnight stop with everything needed on board.
BTW anyone looking for a B&B in Brecon should check out the Borderers guest house, its great, very friendly owner and has a bike lock up room.

Last edited:
Top Bottom