completely OT -cheap cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Who said anything about no depreciation?
Well, you said 'pretty much' the same price you bought it for. That to me means give or take a few quid, which is unlikely. It's more likely to be hundreds, if not a thousand.

And anyway, why are you getting so het up about depreciation anyway, I thought you said in your OP that you weren't bothered about residual values, and that all you were bothered about was what engine you could get for your money (even though I'm supposedly the one obsessed with engines)?

bonj2

[As illustrated above. No-one said anything about no depreciation. You argue against something that no-one said, and then when this is pointed out you repeat the original point put to you, which you have spent ages arguing against, and try to make out that it was what you have been arguing all along.
OK, draw a line under that - you said 'pretty much' the same and I took it to mean 'the same', when that's not what you meant. A simple misunderstanding. Fine. No point arguing about it unnecessarily.
But, the questions remains. Why ARE you buying a new car if you're "not bothered about residual values"?

bonj2

User said:
[As illustrated above. No-one said anything about no depreciation. You argue against something that no-one said' date=' and then when this is pointed out you repeat the original point put to you, which you have spent ages arguing against, and try to make out that it was what you have been arguing all along.
OK, draw a line under that - you said 'pretty much' the same and I took it to mean 'the same', when that's not what you meant. A simple misunderstanding. Fine. No point arguing about it unnecessarily.

No, not a simple misunderstanding. Just you not understanding the language you speak. "pretty much" has never meant "exactly".
[/quote]Well, if I'm being pedantic (which I am), it's misunderstanding the language you speak. You were the one that used the phrase 'pretty much', not me.

bonj said:
But, the questions remains. Why ARE you buying a new car if you're "not bothered about residual values"?

Apologies to those still daft enough to be reading this tedious thread, but here goes-

The question doesn't remain.
The question does remain. I posed it, and it hasn't been answered - so therefore it remains.
If you want me to (albeit using guesswork) answer it for you, I will. So here goes. You want to buy a new car, either because you simply like the feeling of having a brand new car that no-one's ever driven before, or because you can't be bothered / don't know how to check for mechanical soundness, or because you want the status symbol of a nice shiny 07 plate sitting on your drive - but you want to try to deny the fact that the ball and chain hanging round every new car buyer's neck that is the worry about depreciation applies to you by saying you're not bothered about residual values to start with, pretending that the reason you're asking about engines isn't to do with depreciation concerns when in fact it is. I don't know why you want to pretend you're not bothered about depreciation - perhaps it's due to your indignation at the fact that it is the number one cost of motoring and hence such an annoying issue facing those wanting to buy a new car - but you don't need to pretend it isn't a worry, because it is - and it's perfectly legitimate for it to be.

But like I say, that's just my guess. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Now, should I give you the benefit of my wisdom and the circumstances that have led me to consider this possibility as one of my options?
Oh yes go on please do oh Car Legend Paul, please give me the benefit of your infinite wisdom!

Or is that just a waste of time, as all you will do is try to pick it apart with your immature method of reasoning and opinion-based facts?
If you want to enlighten me without me dissing your choice of car and 'picking it apart' then I promise I won't.

I think the latter, as I really doubt that you are here to learn, or are geuinely interested. Feel free to disagree.
I disagree.
Seriously, though, it's up to you. I was just generally curious as to why you go for a new car rather than an old one, and why you aren't bothered about residual values if you're buying a new car (well whether you are or not), and I wasn't asking the question in order to goad you into saying something which I'd be able to take the piss out of. (Contrary to popular belief, I very rarely do this.)
I'm sorry to seem bitter throughout this post, but I have no time for the egotistical arrogance associated with the attitude of "my motoring knowledge is a valuable commodity, why should I just give it to you for free" - the last time I encountered it was when shopping for my last car and was looking at a certain mercedes, and I was asking him about the service history. He was bluffing but I'd backed him into a corner and he had to admit he didn't have any since 100,000 miles. He then retorted with some garbage about 'it's a little known secret that it's best if you don't change the oil on this type of merc after 100,000 miles'. I asked him why. He said he'd tell me IF I bought the car, and when I expressed such disbelief at his arrogance as to be actually laughing, he launched into an angry diatribe about how he'd been in the motoring industry for 30 years yadda yadda yadda, and how he wasn't just passing the benefit of his knowledge onto just anybody for free, and how I was only equiring to use him to gain knowledge. I hung up on him, and sent him a text basically telling him in no uncertain terms to sod off.

I wouldn't have thought you'd be the type to take this attitude with motoring any more than you would with cycling. Would you?

bonj2

Bonj, you've completely lost the plot now. I have no idea whether you are moaning that I'm the arrogant one because I'm not listening to your advice (if that's what you can call it), or I'm the arrogant one because I'm not sharing my wisdom with you because I asked a question about an engine.
You're the one that's moaning. You've had no less than FOUR moans in this thread.
You asked for advice, but moaned when I was among the people who gave it, because you like to think you're cleverer than me and know more than me about everything. You then moaned again when you successfully managed to trip me up over the meaning of a phrase for 'taking the thread in all directions', and you have yet another moan (number 3) about your inability to answer my perfectly civil and well-meant question about why my advice which your moan 1 was about isn't appropriate to you. You then had a FOURTH moan about the fact that I'm not entertaining you, which you appear to regard as my job.

My only moan is about your touchiness when there's a situation in which you're the one asking for advice and, heaven forbid, I might know something - and your subsequent unwillingness to remain civil.

If there's a mod around reading this, please feel free to lock the thread.
You ARE a mod. Aren't you? Or can't you lock your own thread?
If this thread's making you angry Paul then just don't read it - it'll die of death.

Top Bottom