1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

completely OT -cheap cars

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Mister Paul, 16 Jul 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

The Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo and Peugeot 107 are basically the same car.

Can anyone confirm that the Citroen has the same 1.0l engine as the other 2. I'm on the lookout, and would like to pay Citroen prices for a Toyota. I'm not bothered about residual values.

2. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

I know that they'll all built in the same factory - I test drove the Aygo a month or so back, but it had the semi-auto gearbox and it was just awful - it lurches every time it shifts and doesn't make for smooth progress. I bought a Smart instead - feels a lot more solid and the paddle gearshift makes driving a bit of fun.

3. LLB

LLB Guest

Its not going to happen, Citroens are cheaper than Toyotas for a reason !

4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's the same car Linf. The Peugeot has the same engine. I'm pretty sure that the Citroen does, but would like it confirmed.

Citroen residuals have little to do with the quality of the specific car, and everything to do with the general Citroen reputation, as displayed by you here.

I like the idea of the Smart but it's more expensive, has 2 less seats, and fuel consumption is comparable. A C1 would mean that we could use the bigger car even less.

5. mosschops2

mosschops2 New Member

Monty Dog - last time a drove a Smart (5 yrs ago?) the gearbox lurch was awful - although otherwise really quite liked it.

I'm amazed you found a car which had a worse auto-gearbox!!!

6. LLB

LLB Guest

Its the badge and reputation which knocks the residuals, not the engineering.

I've got a Xantia on my drive, it was an expensive car to run as the suspension went wrong on a number of occasions.

7. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Veteran

Citroen cars are cheaper, but yes have worse residuals. They are cheaper, not so much for lower quality engineering, but because Citroen discount heavily. I believe the engines are the same, and if, as you say, you don't care about resale value, then get the Citroen (IMO)

Andrew

8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

(my bold) Yup. That's what I said.

The Xantia is a Citroen. The C1 isn't really.

9. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Yup, i think thats what Clarkson said....same cars in every way except the badge....therefore, buy the Citroen, which IIRC was the cheapest.

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

why don't you get an older car, rather than losing several grand as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Because this is one of the situations where you don't.

12. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

I bought the Smart because it was actually cheaper than the Aygo by a thousand. The local Smart dealer has a pile of pre-registered ones he was selling off cheap - it had 7 miles on the clock. I was after the auto because my wife drives it too. The Smart lurches a little lumpy in full-auto, but the paddle shift is semi-auto and is pretty smooth. Having bought £20k+ cars new and taken the hit on depreciation, it's nice to pretty well 'fix' the cost of my motoring - I can buy and run the Smart for a year for the price of the depreciation on previous cars!

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

14. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I have a Smart Roadster (2005), ex-demo, which I bought last year. It's still worth the same amount I paid for it. Smart Roadsters are going up in price, as production has stopped and they are being hailed as a design classic.

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Have a look at the car market Bonjy. You'll see what I mean.

And have a look at the thread you're replying to while you're at it. You'll see then that your last comment is unnecessary.