completely OT -cheap cars

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by User, 16 Jul 2007.

1. User

User Guest

2. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

I know that they'll all built in the same factory - I test drove the Aygo a month or so back, but it had the semi-auto gearbox and it was just awful - it lurches every time it shifts and doesn't make for smooth progress. I bought a Smart instead - feels a lot more solid and the paddle gearshift makes driving a bit of fun.

3. LLB

LLB Guest

Its not going to happen, Citroens are cheaper than Toyotas for a reason !

4. mosschops2

mosschops2 New Member

Monty Dog - last time a drove a Smart (5 yrs ago?) the gearbox lurch was awful - although otherwise really quite liked it.

I'm amazed you found a car which had a worse auto-gearbox!!!

5. LLB

LLB Guest

Its the badge and reputation which knocks the residuals, not the engineering.

I've got a Xantia on my drive, it was an expensive car to run as the suspension went wrong on a number of occasions.

6. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

Citroen cars are cheaper, but yes have worse residuals. They are cheaper, not so much for lower quality engineering, but because Citroen discount heavily. I believe the engines are the same, and if, as you say, you don't care about resale value, then get the Citroen (IMO)

Andrew

7. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Yup, i think thats what Clarkson said....same cars in every way except the badge....therefore, buy the Citroen, which IIRC was the cheapest.

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

why don't you get an older car, rather than losing several grand as soon as you drive it off the forecourt.

9. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

I bought the Smart because it was actually cheaper than the Aygo by a thousand. The local Smart dealer has a pile of pre-registered ones he was selling off cheap - it had 7 miles on the clock. I was after the auto because my wife drives it too. The Smart lurches a little lumpy in full-auto, but the paddle shift is semi-auto and is pretty smooth. Having bought £20k+ cars new and taken the hit on depreciation, it's nice to pretty well 'fix' the cost of my motoring - I can buy and run the Smart for a year for the price of the depreciation on previous cars!

10. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

11. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

You're not that bothered about residual values. Yes, I know, I can read.
    But the fact that you say "I want to pay citroen prices for a toyota" implies that you are bothered about the initial purchase cost.
    Hence my pointing out that the older you go the better car you can pick up for your money, or the less you'll have to pay for the same car - as pretty much all cars go down in value. You haven't explained why you don't want to do this. The reason most people don't is that they're scared there might be "something wrong with it", but if you just take a little bit of time to get clued up on a few basic things to look out for, you can vastly reduce the possibility of buying something which needs a lot spending on it.

If you don't want to talk about it and you've already made your decision then fair enough, I'm just trying to pass on some genuine advice from my own experiences.

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

oooh, get you.

There's not many cars you can do that with.
    A bini is apparently one example, or once was at some point. But I doubt you could with a generic supermini, especially a mass produced one with no waiting list. But if you think you can, good luck to you.
    Also, it depends what you mean by "pretty much the same". For instance my bro has just bought a car for about ten grand and is probably going to sell it for around 8 grand in three years, which 2 grand for 3 years of motoring is not bad considering how nice (not to mention fast!) a car it is. But 2 grand is more than my vehicle cost to buy outright, so I don't have to worry about residual values, I just have to make sure I keep it mechanically sound, which is nice really not having to worry about depreciation or having perfect bodywork - if it gets chipped I'll just slap a bit of hammerite on it.

13. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bini

Sure, you can haggle for a good deal. But I think to be able to sell it for the same price in a year you'd have to be fairly lucky, and I don't think you'd be able to guarantee that you were going to do so.
    But like I say, it's probably not impossible - so good luck to you.

Erm,... no.

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Hmmm... maybe at very low cost yes, but NO depreciation cost is pretty much very unlikely.

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Yes, WHILE you were typing your reply! Give me chance...
    At the time when I started editing it, you hadn't posted any reply.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice