Completely OT, need a tractor search

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
OK, this is completely OT but could someone, with better Google Fu then I have, find me an image or a website for the Russell 2D and 3D tractor please?

It may also be called a tool carrier.

Thank you.:thumbsup:

tyred

Legendary Member
Wasn't that a development of the David Brown 2D?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Wasn't that a development of the David Brown 2D?
It may be, don't know. I'll be happy with that if they are technically the same thing.

I need to know, mainly about the 3D with the hydrostatic transmission as I may be converting one to electric but won't get to see it in the rust for a few weeks.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't really find anything on the Russell but I recall reading a book on David Browns where it was mentioned they had bought the design of the 2D and modernised it.

Here is a photo of a DB 2D I took at a vintage rally a while back:
4919734846_6a0daeeda7.jpg
Donegal Vintage Rally 2010 - David Brown 2D by braveheart1979, on Flickr

Not many around in Ireland, strange design, a two cylinder engine which had a third piston to balance the thing but didn't contribute to powering the engine and suffered from oil starvation issues, they had a pneumatically operated lift system whereas just about any other tractor uses hydraulics. AFAIK, the DB 2D had a normal sliding mesh "crash" box.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've managed to find a bit of a forum discussion on the DB 2D where it says Russell got an 'arrangement' to build an updated hydrostatic drive version of the DB 2D' back in the 70's near York.

I wonder how the engine was mounted and how it drove the hydraulic pump?

tyred

Legendary Member
That, I don't know.

I'm sure it would have been built using parts intended for other purposes. Tractor engines are usually part of the chassis, Leylands/Nuffields, Zetors and some Fordsons are the only common exceptions where separate chassis rails supported the engine. Tractor hydraulic pumps are usually driven from within the gearbox, but its also common for it to be driven from front pulley using a short driveshaft bolted onto the mounting studs for the pulley itself. This is what I would expect in this case tbh, as a lot of the "specials" used this configuration, usually a pump intended for older JCB or similar which also drove of the front pulley in this manner. Sometimes you will find drives for hydraulic pumps taken from the timing gear for a small pump which bolts directly to the engine block, but these tend to smaller pumps used for the PAS where fitted.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
That, I don't know.

I'm sure it would have been built using parts intended for other purposes. Tractor engines are usually part of the chassis, Leylands/Nuffields, Zetors and some Fordsons are the only common exceptions where separate chassis rails supported the engine. Tractor hydraulic pumps are usually driven from within the gearbox, but its also common for it to be driven from front pulley using a short driveshaft bolted onto the mounting studs for the pulley itself. This is what I would expect in this case tbh, as a lot of the "specials" used this configuration, usually a pump intended for older JCB or similar which also drove of the front pulley in this manner. Sometimes you will find drives for hydraulic pumps taken from the timing gear for a small pump which bolts directly to the engine block, but these tend to smaller pumps used for the PAS where fitted.

Not sure here.
This thing is rear engine with the engine driving the transaxle from behind. The engine, if it is like the Allis Chalmers G will just cantilever off the back of the bell housing.
Being hydrostatic it 'should' be either driving a pump inside the transaxle or it could be driving a pump that is then plumbed into the transaxle to drive the hydraulic wheel motors.

If it is a separate pump that is plumbed in then a pump and motor from a fork lift truck can be mounted anywhere and then plumbed in.
If it is a built in pump then I will need to make a motor coupler and an an adapter plate to mount the motor where the engine was.

Maybe I can't do anything until I get to see the thing.

Top Bottom