Compostelle: Camino de Santiago

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
My SIL is walking the Compostelle as we speak, she says that people do it on their bikes and I was wondering if anyone has done it and what their experience was.

jay clock

Massive member
Thousands have done so - I did the Portuguese route a few years back. I also have cycled a bit of the Camino Frances and (in reverse direction) a big chunk of the one from Andalucia. Lovely place to cycle

YahudaMoon

Über Member
My Spanish lady friend from Santander completed it in August on vigil with other woman and from what Ana and her freinds told me and looking at the pics it was fantastic

The womans only complaint on the walking trip was the annoyance of cyclist and how inconsiderate they were to fellow walkers :smile:

JPLL

Regular

Somerset

Did the Compostella cycle camping from Lisbon to Santiago then on to St Jean then to St Malo earlier this year. General comments are, Portugal good weather but head wind, as Pilgrim could stay in Firestations quite often, rest wild camped, saw lots of Fatama pilgrims but not a lot of S de C until nearer S de C. Few cyclists doing it. The stretch from S de C to St Jean had lots and lots of walking Pilgrims and quite a few cyclists. I was on touring bike so kept to roads beside walking trail, the off road cyclist were not a great advert for cyclist in general they were ruining the walking trail for the walkers. At one place vans were dropping them off at tops of Mountains and they were off roading down walking trail to bottom. Accomodation was in Alburges which was cheap but some 80 to a room. Sometimes I put my tent up outside rather than inside just to get a good nights sleep, the walkers get up really early! The weather was cold, windy and wet. No problems with supplies or roads. The bit though France camped and great weather. Overall a great trip and I am full of admiration for the walkers.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'd considered doing the route until I read about the bed bug infestations in the pilgrims hostels. A cyclist that I met in Budapest had walked the route and said that he'd met quite a few walkers with lumps and bumps from infected bites.

bianchi1

Guru
I've done it a couple of times. Once in my youth, by accident as I was cycling home from Portugal. I kept wondering why there were so many people walking toward me with shells on sticks! A few years ago I did it the right way just because I remembered how lovely that part of the world is.

I must admit to not being as impressed the second time round. It was very very busy. The tranquility of the route is no more and it has a much more commercial feel about it. My first trip was full of interesting meetings with alternative folk, drinks, smokes etc while now it seemed to be a much more 'conformist' crowd. All gore tex walking boots and Patagonia cargo pants. (It is of course possible all the cool people just didn't want to mix with a middle age cyclist....but I would rather believe that they weren't there anymore). I wild camped but have heard that the accommodation along the way often is full by 1 pm.

That said, the countryside was just as stunning as I had remembered, it's just now I would not follow a route but just cycle into the wilderness.

andy_spacey

Über Member
Its a great tour on a bike. I have done the Portugal and French route both ways.
You can carry minimal gear. you can stay in the albergues (which are cheap 5 to 10 euro and are every where alone the route) but take a tent and you can wild camp or stop at the albergues if they have ground. Its nice to do the ride in 14 days but you can do it faster. ( I did it in 9)
You cant really get lost as there are signs every where and people will always point you in the right direction.
I always recommend the Camino de Santiago as someone as a great first tour because of how well supported the route is.( People make a living alone the French route)
Lots of people to meet from all around the world to talk to when you have break stops.
There are only a few long climes but nothing to steep but they will make you sweet.
All in all its a great tour.. more interesting than just a week riding around French.

Brains

Legendary Member
I've done a few sections of the route all in northern Europe, Holland, Belgium, Germany and a bit in France. It's surprising how man variations and 'starting' points there are

Low Roller

I did it with a tent. I fitted the Galaxy with a 22 teeth "granny" ring on the front to get over the Pyrenees. ( I suppose in my case it was a "granddad" ring.) Triple decker bunk beds in the hostels are not to be recommended if you haven't got a head for heights. You need earplugs and nose plugs too. Or just turn your hearing aid off.

Top Bottom