"compulsory age-appropriate retesting every 3 years once a driver turns 70" - Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Yes, everybody. There are too many people around for whom the edge of the visible universe consists of only two cubic meters of personal space, and anything outside this space they are oblivious too. People who walk straight out of shops into a busy high street without looking and then nearly colliding with others. People who walk straight towards me forcing me to swerve at the last minute (last minute so they haven't time to counter the move and bump into me). People who walk up to a doorway and stand in it completely blocking passage for everyone else. People who choose to walk six inches past me when I am trying to lock my bike instead of using the adjacent 200 square metres of empty 10 metre wide shared use space. Mobile morons who are too busy going yatter yatter yatter swipe swipe swipe *BUMP* oops sorry mate didn't see you there. In fact, just give them a punch in the face every time they act like careless thoughtless bastards and they might eventually evolve to have a modicum of spatial awareness, which will hopefully stick with them in those times when they choose to drive instead of walk.

Top rant dude!

relax.jpg

Yes, everybody. There are too many people around for whom the edge of the visible universe consists of only two cubic meters of personal space, and anything outside this space they are oblivious too. People who walk straight out of shops into a busy high street without looking and then nearly colliding with others. People who walk straight towards me forcing me to swerve at the last minute (last minute so they haven't time to counter the move and bump into me). People who walk up to a doorway and stand in it completely blocking passage for everyone else. People who choose to walk six inches past me when I am trying to lock my bike instead of using the adjacent 200 square metres of empty 10 metre wide shared use space. Mobile morons who are too busy going yatter yatter yatter swipe swipe swipe *BUMP* oops sorry mate didn't see you there. In fact, just give them a punch in the face every time they act like careless thoughtless bastards and they might eventually evolve to have a modicum of spatial awareness, which will hopefully stick with them in those times when they choose to drive instead of walk.
God, I enjoyed that!! Agree with every word.

I shall now go and arrange my over 70 driving test!!

Eyes ok. Had a test last week!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I would agree with this. But you forgot to mention prams.

Older drivers may well have physical problems that limit their ability, at 66 I know my reactions what they were 40 years ago! But the big problem is younger drivers, not necessarily just through their test, who drive like they own the road and disdain signalling, road positioning or any allowance for other users. I'm all in favour of retests for everyone, and making medical staff, including opticiansf responsible for reporting drivers who may not be fit enough to drive. That first, before a blind 'retest at 70 policy', seems more likely to make our roads safer.

Let's be a little controversial?

The medical system is a two edged sword

You need the relationship of trust between a patient and the medical profession

People will only seek advice and treatment if they feel that it is confidential and private

Delaying seeing someone about a condition can be critical and mean the difference between life and death in extreme cases or a more severe condition

If people do not see their GP because they are afraid of being "grassed on" there is a cost

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
People will only seek advice and treatment if they feel that it is confidential and private

I heard a GP on the radio the other week saying that when she explains to patients that she has a legal obligation to notify DVLA, the patient is more understanding.

People who think they're being "grassed on" in relation to matters of wider public safety are not people I want on the roads, fark 'em.

OP
OP
G
Excuse me, lads and lasses - this has ****-all to do with Specsavers.

The petition arises from a case where a driver mistook his/her accelerator for his/her brake! THAT IS NOT A SIGHT PROBLEM. That's a basic competence/reaction problem. AND (as I suggested) is not age-related.

Retest them all (that's us :smile:, in my case). Every 3 years. At least - and even shorter intervals for all those silly *******s who show any inclination to invent their very own, car-specific, fantabulous "Highway Code".

OP
OP
G
Who's footing the bill for this?
What bill? Apart from people coughing up the necessary for the privilege ... :whistle:

Fenrider

Is't far you ride?

An interesting article.
I feel any legislation should be based on statistics, not 'man in the pub' opinion or even high-profile tragic incidents, heart-breaking as each one is.
Looking at my last half-dozen scary cycling moments, they involved: driver (unknown gender) of a Spanish-registered lorry (pulled out on roundabout), a young male driver egged on by his grinning passenger (failed to slow down on approach on narrow lane), a middle-aged male pick-up driver (ditto), an elderly male driver (cutting the corner of junction), an elderly female driver (close pass) and a middle-aged female Range Rover driver (close pass at speed).
Whilst my personal experience could suggest that foreign nationals, or young men, or Range Rover drivers should all be tested more frequently, the fact is, all ages and genders of driver do stupid things from time to time. So who's to say which one group of drivers needs re-educating?
What's really needed is a programme of awareness-raising amongst all types of driver.

User269

Why 70?
The last time I checked figures from the DfT and ONS, the highest risk drivers, adjusted for percentage of drivers in population, and aged over 25, were 48 year olds.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't see any problem with a regular retest, maybe every 10-15 years; throughout life.

The driving test centres would also have proper eye-test facilities to ensure that dodgy vision is corrected; and retinal scans to ensure that the test candidte is not a 'proxy'.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
One small potential fly-in-the-ointment is that most Test centres are booked up for about 3 months or more, so there would be a need for a significant number of new Test Examiners ... who are in short supply. :sad:

Top Bottom