"compulsory age-appropriate retesting every 3 years once a driver turns 70" - Petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd rather there was a petition to ban drivers with over 12 points. And I mean BAN them. Not let them go on and on accumulating bloody points. The system is a joke.

macp

Guru
Seems a bit stupid to put it on the hard-to-use change.org instead of the official http://petition.parliament.uk site.

Also seems ageist. Let's retest everyone as appropriate.
I was all for signing it until I read your post and it made me change my mind. I still firmly believe and have always believed something should be done. My wife used to work for a well known optician and regularly she would tell me about older customers with very poor eyesight such that she would ask how they were getting home. The response was nearly always "im driving dear".

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Mandatory eye test every two years for everybody

Everybody? Or everybody who drives?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I'd rather there was a petition to ban drivers with over 12 points. And I mean BAN them. Not let them go on and on accumulating bloody points. The system is a joke.
I completely agree with this.
I know several over 70 year olds who are excellent drivers, not erratic or doddery at all and I have no worries about getting in a car with them. I don't think that it's an age thing that makes a bad driver but an ability thing.

byegad

Legendary Member
Older drivers may well have physical problems that limit their ability, at 66 I know my reactions what they were 40 years ago! But the big problem is younger drivers, not necessarily just through their test, who drive like they own the road and disdain signalling, road positioning or any allowance for other users. I'm all in favour of retests for everyone, and making medical staff, including opticians responsible for reporting drivers who may not be fit enough to drive. That first, before a blind 'retest at 70 policy', seems more likely to make our roads safer.

al78

Guru
Everybody? Or everybody who drives?

Yes, everybody. There are too many people around for whom the edge of the visible universe consists of only two cubic meters of personal space, and anything outside this space they are oblivious too. People who walk straight out of shops into a busy high street without looking and then nearly colliding with others. People who walk straight towards me forcing me to swerve at the last minute (last minute so they haven't time to counter the move and bump into me). People who walk up to a doorway and stand in it completely blocking passage for everyone else. People who choose to walk six inches past me when I am trying to lock my bike instead of using the adjacent 200 square metres of empty 10 metre wide shared use space. Mobile morons who are too busy going yatter yatter yatter swipe swipe swipe *BUMP* oops sorry mate didn't see you there. In fact, just give them a punch in the face every time they act like careless thoughtless bastards and they might eventually evolve to have a modicum of spatial awareness, which will hopefully stick with them in those times when they choose to drive instead of walk.

Top Bottom