Compulsory cycle helmets - what's the proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

Thanks for the lesson.

Mounting stuff on your helmet not only removes any potential benefit but significantly increases the danger that they pose, IMO.

It was a general point, not aimed specifically at anyone, just something for people to cogitate over rather than just blithely stick stuff through their vents.

And your last line is rather bizarre, IMO. I'd love to hear how the car industry benefits. I would say that I'm "all ears", but then my helmet wouldn't fit very well. :biggrin:
Lesson? No I simply made the point that I had thought about the effect of sticking stuff on the helmet thanks. Of course sticking the same things unpadded on ones head is not likely to improve ones chances in the unlikely event that you strike your head when coming off (and for those surprised by this, it is unlikely - the statistics show that pedestrians are more at risk of head injuries than cyclists!).

It's not a bizarre point at all. Increased cycling results in decreased car use. Decreased car use results in decreased car (and oil and accessory) sales. Promoting (or cumpulsory) helmets has been shown to result in decreased cycle use, hence promoting helmet use (or compulsion) benefits the car industry (who have large, well-run and professional departments devoted to ensuring increased sales).

Woz!

I agree with you Woz, I made it compulsory for my kids (9, 12 &16) not to wear them. :biggrin: I didn't want the association of "danger" with their cycles. My heart sinks when I see kids on family outings wearing helmets, knee pads and hi-viz vests, I bet some can't wait to ditch their bikes, what a palaver!

Well shockingly my eldest actually asked for a helmet once he got heavily into the BMX riding. He's just turned 13. He wears it when he feels it's appropriate. Funnily enough I think he generally gets it right.

Looks like even children are able to assess risks and act accordingly...well, ones that are ever exposed to risk in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom