Compulsory helmet wearing for children under 16 mooted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

As a keen cyclist and parent I am dismayed by some of the attitudes portrayed in this thread.
I have always insisted that my children wear a helmet when cycling, to me it's no different to wearing a seatbelt in a car. If one of my children were to sustain a brain injury due to cycling without a helmet then I would never forgive myself. Surely people must realise that there is a very good chance of receiving a head injury if you come off a bike at speed? If a helmet can minimise that injury then surely that is justification enough for ensuring that you child wears one.
As an adult its up to the individual to decide whether they wish to wear a helmet or not but IMO the law should protect children from unnecessary risk and I would be in favour of a law that made it compulsory for under sixteen's to wear a helmet.
As for statistics, do you really need them? surely common sense must tell you that helmets can and do save lives. My wife is a nurse on a stroke ward and she often cares for patients who have received brain trauma do to accidents, including cycling accidents.

I wonder if the same people who are arguing about helmets and the nanny state also argued about boosters seats and the compulsory use of seat belts for kids?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Mark_Robson said:
If one of my children were to sustain a brain injury due to cycling without a helmet then I would never forgive myself.
And how would you feel if they were to sustain a brain injury due to
- falling off a climbing frame
- slipping on an icy pavement
- falling out of a tree
- falling over in the shower
?

Do you insist on their wearing helmets for all these activities too? If not, what makes cycling different?

Mark_Robson said:
As a keen cyclist and parent I am dismayed by some of the attitudes portrayed in this thread.
I have always insisted that my children wear a helmet when cycling, to me it's no different to wearing a seatbelt in a car. If one of my children were to sustain a brain injury due to cycling without a helmet then I would never forgive myself. Surely people must realise that there is a very good chance of receiving a head injury if you come off a bike at speed? If a helmet can minimise that injury then surely that is justification enough for ensuring that you child wears one.
As an adult its up to the individual to decide whether they wish to wear a helmet or not but IMO the law should protect children from unnecessary risk and I would be in favour of a law that made it compulsory for under sixteen's to wear a helmet.
As for statistics, do you really need them? surely common sense must tell you that helmets can and do save lives. My wife is a nurse on a stroke ward and she often cares for patients who have received brain trauma do to accidents, including cycling accidents.

I wonder if the same people who are arguing about helmets and the nanny state also argued about boosters seats and the compulsory use of seat belts for kids?

Which sums up all the reason for compulsory Thudguards!

Baby_Head_Hat_500.jpg

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mark_Robson said:

I have always insisted that my children wear a helmet when cycling,
Fine. I have no say in how you treat your children.
to me it's no different to wearing a seatbelt in a car.
To me it is.

If one of my children were to sustain a brain injury due to cycling without a helmet then I would never forgive myself.
Your child does not sustain a brain injury by not wearing a helmet. Your child sustains a brain injury due to the impact of the pavement or a car's bonnet on their heads. This is the cause. The question you mean to ask is "will the wearing of a helmet reduce the risk of a head injury?", a question that is still to be settled conclusively. Would you 'forgive yourself' if your child sustained a serious head injury while wearing a helmet? Emotion is not evidence.

Surely people must realise that there is a very good chance of receiving a head injury if you come off a bike at speed?
I don't realise it. Evidence would be nice. Supposing this is true, then I am at more risk than my child, as she can only cycle very, very slowly.

If a helmet can minimise that injury......
An assumption. Peer-reviewed evidence please.

I'm glad you've not mentioned cycling here, because if you take that view then we should make children wear helmets when a helmet can reduce risk, and that children suffer head injuries from causes other than cycling, the we should make children wear helmets whenever there is any risk of a head injury. As there is always a risk of head injury (think wobbly vase on shelf), then we should make children wear helmets at all times. I repeat my link.....

http://www.thudguard.com/

I do hope you've put in an order.

You've used the phrase 'unnecessary risk'. What is a 'unnecessary risk'? Driving your child in a car is a risk, but is it necessary or unnecessary? Could you have walked? Trick question! Walking is more risky than driving and cycling per mile. Should you just have stayed at home? Should they have worn a helmet while walking? Really, there is no such thing as necessary or unnecessary risk, even for children. There's always a trade of risk vs benefit. I don't do base jumping or potholing because its high-risk and I see little benefit. Its an extreme example, but consciously or sub-consciously we perform risk assessments many times a day. So do our children.

When it comes to cycling, the small risk of head injury (with or without helmet) must be balanced against the risks of reduced social interaction, exercise and ->my personal favourite<- the need for a child to learn how to assess risk themselves. "But helmets do no harm" I hear you cry! Then why not wear a helmet while walking? Also, there is some admittedly disputed evidence, not anecdote, that helmet wearers are treated with less care by other road users than non-helmet wearers and that helmet wearers tend to take greater risks due to a greater feeling of protection. Look up "risk compensation".

As for statistics, do you really need them? surely common sense must tell you that helmets can and do save lives.
Who needs evidence and statistics when good old common sense comes to the rescue every time. Go to your medicine cabinet and throw out all your medicines. Turn off all your consumer electronics. Go to your car and rip out its engine management system. Have a chat with your deity of choice and tell him to make gases, radioactive nuclei and populations of wildebeest behave less in a bogus 'statistical' way and more along the lines of common sense. I can't begin to educate you in how f***ing ignorant that last sentence is and how much statistics impinge on your life. Just because you don't understand something (and by that last quote you surely do not), doesn't make it any less valid. I do hope you're just trolling.

My wife is a nurse on a stroke ward and she often cares for patients who have received brain trauma do to accidents, including cycling accidents.
She must be friends with the paediatrician that keeps popping up in people's conversations, you know, "I'm friends with a doctor and he says..... etc etc".

I trust your wife has studied the literature and kept tallies of the causes of injury passing through her hands? Did she compare the incidence of cycling injuries with other causes of head injury. Against age, experience, location, ethnicity, helmet make, age and fit and other factors that could potentially introduce bias into an assessment? Or did she just remember the chap who'd been hit by a car and not been wearing a helmet? I'm not picking on your wife. Paediatricians will see ugly consequences of accidents of all kinds, but very few will be involved in the rigorous analysis of the factors that determine the cause of accidents and the degree of injury. The plural of anecdote is not evidence.

All risks are not the same. Each risk must be assessed independently on its own merits and the trade off between risk and benefit performed. Even for children.

You're new. You probably think you're adding something, but just type "helmet" into the search facility and you'll realise how much this has been done to death. The only reason I've bothered to reply is that I'm so heartily sick of the "think of the children" argument that I want to bang my head against a wall. Should I wear a helmet?

Cunobelin said:
Which sums up all the reason for compulsory Thudguards!

Baby_Head_Hat_500.jpg

You are a radiologist (IIRC), you see the patients and know how the trauma's occur from their notes/dialogue CB. How many brain injuries do do you see from cycling in a year ?

Dave5N

Über Member
It's all nonsense. I wear a helmet, so do my kids. We have to to do what we do on bikes.

Local kids don't and passing a law won't make them do it either. Just like passing a law against underage drinking hasn't stopped underage drinking.

The kids in my local park all have bikes. They, or many of them, have deeply impressive technical ability.

They don't wear helmets and they are all embarrasingly teenage-pissed every Friday night. Laws won't change things.

Hmmmm.....

babs01 said:
For me, helmet compulsion = prevention of many cyclists' full enjoyment of the activity, and deterrence from cycling; leading to increased incidence of cardiovascular disease etc. etc..... For those who say a helmet offers limited protection, I'd like to say that 'little bit of protection' can make all the a little bit of difference.
FTFY ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
coruskate said:
And how would you feel if they were to sustain a brain injury due to
- falling off a climbing frame
- slipping on an icy pavement
- falling out of a tree
- falling over in the shower
?

Do you insist on their wearing helmets for all these activities too? If not, what makes cycling different?

Exactly

very-near said:
You are a radiologist (IIRC), you see the patients and know how the trauma's occur from their notes/dialogue CB. How many brain injuries do do you see from cycling in a year ?

I am a radiographer with extensive experience of A/E and CT scanning (now involved in PET CT imaging).

Very few, I used to see more pedestrian and drunks, however referring to my personal experience is not "evidential" - for this reason I quote peer reviewed and published evidence from papers such ads the BMJ.

Typical are the cohort studies. One such study that I often refer to is by Thornhill and colleagues who simply took ALL head injuries admitted in Glasgow Hospitals, no exclusions or bias. Cyclists as a presenting group did not even rate a mention!

Wardlaw in the BMJ also puts this into contct:

Let us examine the facts. The inherent risks of road cycling are trivial. Of at least 3.5 million regular cyclists in Britain, only about 10 a year are killed in rider only accidents. This compares with about 350 people younger than 75 killed each year falling down steps or tripping. Six times as many pedestrians as cyclists are killed by motor traffic, yet travel surveys show annual mileage walked is only five times that cycled; a mile of walking must be more “dangerous” than a mile of cycling.

Top Bottom