Compulsory Insurance and VED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'd rather not see VED abandoned for cars, as it's an annual check that they have valid insurance and MOT (with a few exceptions).
Sorry I don't see the relevance, you can VED a car without insurance & they already know if a car has MOT or not. They should just be more proactive in sending out the warning letters & then follow through with the prosecutions. I'd be happy if all the speed cameras turned into insurance & MOT spotting cameras. We've spend all this money of Smart motorways, let's make then truely smart & make them earn money

Sorry I don't see the relevance, you can VED a car without insurance & they already know if a car has MOT or not. They should just be more proactive in sending out the warning letters & then follow through with the prosecutions. I'd be happy if all the speed cameras turned into insurance & MOT spotting cameras. We've spend all this money of Smart motorways, let's make then truely smart & make them earn money
Car cloning ! A speed camera may pick up a vehicle registration but will not identify what vehicle it is that is using it .

Drago

Legendary Member
Shouldn't we focus on those dishing out the injuries rather than those receiving them? After all, it's the perpetrator's insurance that should pay out.

Alas, the figures didn't delve into the statistical causes, only the statistical outcomes. But I'm certainly with you in principle.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Surely the registered keeper must have insurance? I accept that the car can then be driven by someone without insurance, but this wouldn't be flagged by a camera in any case.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Surely the registered keeper must have insurance? I accept that the car can then be driven by someone without insurance, but this wouldn't be flagged by a camera in any case.
Yes insurance is needed to renew VED. The online process checks the Motor Insurance Database. Much easier than taking a certificate or cover note to the post office.

yello

Did you know you can get insurance for insurance premiums going up? These guys really have it sussed huh. It's called financial instruments and it phareks with your mind.

Exactly the kind of thing I've referred to in another thread! I can get ranty on the subject tbh... so I won't say more!

Firesprite

Regular
The major problem is you cannot get stand alone 3rd party insurance for a cyclist. You can only get it by either being member of a club or by insuring the bike with it as a add-on. In some places the bike insurance costs are through the roof. I have a cheap folder for use between the staion and my office four miles away in Cambridge. The bike cost £105, the yearly insurance cost would be a £110 plus another £40 for 3rd party. Which I don't need as I'm covered by the CTC which covers me for all bikes. Unlike the insurance above which would only cover me for riding the bike insured. I contact TFL about the hirebikes and asked if the hirers were insured, their not and are recommend hirers to arrange cover before hiring.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes insurance is needed to renew VED. The online process checks the Motor Insurance Database. Much easier than taking a certificate or cover note to the post office.
Nope, you don't need insurance to get VED, it used to check it no longer does. all the insurance companies batch update what is & what isn't insured overnight. So if you insure a car today DVLA don't know it's insured until tomorrow but they will allow you VED today.

Don't forget, that tax incentive is a "nudge" to encourage environmentally friendly vehicles. Eventually than nudge will not be needed but the loss of tax revenue must be replaced somehow. Expect all vehicles using roads to be brought back into the tax net.

Indeed!!

My wife bought a new Toyota C-HR last year, & it was £0 rated VED
We got a renewal last week, & it was £135
I've no idea if that was the case when she bought it, or the goal-posts have moved since June 2018?

Smudge

Veteran
Indeed!!

My wife bought a new Toyota C-HR last year, & it was £0 rated VED
We got a renewal last week, & it was £135
I've no idea if that was the case when she bought it, or the goal-posts have moved since June 2018?

If you bought it last year, then you bought it after the VED pricing structure was changed, which was 2016.
All the £20 & £30 cheap VED cars that were bought previous to this date, still get their cheap VED. Although there's no guarantee this wont change.

Drago

Legendary Member
The changes are 2016 onwards. I suspect Mrs Thackaray's car was first year free under the rather complex new regime.

The government have pledged that older vehicles under 120g/km, ie, the 30 quid, 20 quid, or free bandings, will be exempt from the escalator that has blighted more polluting models over the last 2 years. How long that pledge will hold though is anyone's guess.

Yes, my Focus was £20 yr VED when i bought it in 15. Its still £20 now.
It wouldn't surprise me if they change this though, because people will be keeping these cars longer because of the cheap tax.
True enough

On another issue, the removal of the requirement of an MoT test for cars over 40 years old, is scary
In the event of one being involved in any RTC, with/without injury (or death), who decides if it is road-worthy
It's doubtful that investigators/insurers will accept the owners "Well, it looked okay last month & the brakes work"

Top Bottom