Compulsory Insurance and VED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given the recent decision in court, and the fallout from it, calls from parts of the media saying we, cyclists, should have mandatory insurance and "Road Tax"(VED) and possibly some sort of training before we are allowed on the roads. What are the chances, and the implications of such a move?

In a recent thread, these same issues were raised on here with regards a possible increase in the top assisted speed for e-bikes. Before the court decision was announced. There's been a new thread on insurance for cyclist, possibly as a result of the court case was announced.

Would greater freedom on the roads, possibly an increase in the assist speed limit as a result of having the three things that some are saying we should have be worth it? Would we be treated as equals on them, if we had them? Would you be willing to to be treated as an equal, if they said you'd be treated differently, but.....

Can we avoid having them imposed on us. Once again a court case has put cyclists back in the media spotlight.

At present the systems can't ensure that all the vehicles currently covered by such regulations actually meet them. How would it cope, if it could, with an increase brought about by including cyclists?

Finally, for now, does anyone know where I can get the application form for the licence for my class of vehicle? I've managed to get the Registered Keeper of a trailer, and the Waste Carriers Licence. Now it's just the appropriate licence that's required.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
As has been made clear in Parliament on a number of occasions, the measures you refer to would be too costly to administer and be of no real benefit. I wouldn't worry about it, no matter how much the click-bait driven media flog it.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
One I'd say is highly likely is the insurance. But how would they "police" the system?

Either that or we can expect similar cases to come up. Result would be a greater number of cyclists taking out cover for themselves, until a majority is reached whereby it becomes easier to implement the compulsory insurance requirement.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
With third party insurance being given away with household insurances as well as club memberships, there may already be majority coverage. I still don't expect it to become compulsory else we'll see similar for walkers and horse riders and the authorities already can't cope with compelling motorists.

bladderhead

glasgowcyclist said:
I wouldn't worry about it
I am glad about that. The thought of tax and insurance is a bit depressing, and not just because of the money. One of the reasons I like cycling is because it is something you can just do. Anyone can just buy a bike and ride it. Anywhere. No pissing about with licenses and stuff. Ride it in the park, on the pavement, the wrong way up a one-way street, nobody makes a fuss. It would be a shame to squeeze out that sense of anarchy.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
With third party insurance being given away with household insurances as well as club memberships, there may already be majority coverage. I still don't expect it to become compulsory else we'll see similar for walkers and horse riders and the authorities already can't cope with compelling motorists.

The Employers' Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969
&
The Riding Establishments Act 1970
covers horse riding/riders.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I cant see it ever happening, but if it did then....

Im already licenced for a bike
Im already insured against, theft and third party damage
And tax would be zero as its electric

So im covered whichever way it goes....but with climate change, congestion, pollution etc etc causing already big issues for the planet. It would be utter stupidity to start tackling cyclists for no apparent gain

PK99

Legendary Member
I cant see it ever happening, but if it did then....

And tax would be zero as its electric

Don't forget, that tax incentive is a "nudge" to encourage environmentally friendly vehicles. Eventually than nudge will not be needed but the loss of tax revenue must be replaced somehow. Expect all vehicles using roads to be brought back into the tax net.

D

Deleted member 26715

With third party insurance being given away with household insurances as well as club memberships,
That has not been my experience, I've always found that you have to pay extra for 3rd party liability cover on household insurance & that club membership doesn't include insurance, in fact the inverse, to ride out with the club you have to provide your own insurance.

mjr

That has not been my experience, I've always found that you have to pay extra for 3rd party liability cover on household insurance & that club membership doesn't include insurance, in fact the inverse, to ride out with the club you have to provide your own insurance.
The fact that not all give it away doesn't contradict that it is given away by some. It's so cheap it will never be worth the admin to compel, much like any non-punitive tax.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Don't forget, that tax incentive is a "nudge" to encourage environmentally friendly vehicles. Eventually than nudge will not be needed but the loss of tax revenue must be replaced somehow. Expect all vehicles using roads to be brought back into the tax net.
I still cant see ebikes being subject to VED in my lifetime.......just my opinion nothing else

Smudge

Veteran

Yep, they always change the goal posts.
Just like those £20 and £30 a year VED petrol & diesel cars you used to be able to buy new.

D

Deleted member 26715

The fact that not all give it away doesn't contradict that it is given away by some. It's so cheap it will never be worth the admin to compel, much like any non-punitive tax.
Only my experience but I have never come across a policy where it's automatically included, it just maybe that we look at different ends of the cost spectrum, I detest insurance so will almost always take the cheapest option, in 40+ years I have only ever claimed on any insurance once.
I still cant see ebikes being subject to VED in my lifetime.......just my opinion nothing else
I do hope you are right, but I do think that electric motored motorcycles/mopeds will be subject to VED
Yep, they always change the goal posts.
Just like those £20 and £30 a year VED petrol & diesel cars you used to be able to buy new.
My Volvo diesel is still only £30 a year, it's ridiculous, I have a friend whose BMW is only £30 he does 50K a year, my kit car is £250+ does less than 2K (in fact this year likely to be less than 1K) surely his emissions will be greater than mine

mjr

Only my experience but I have never come across a policy where it's automatically included, it just maybe that we look at different ends of the cost spectrum, I detest insurance so will almost always take the cheapest option, in 40+ years I have only ever claimed on any insurance once.
Not different ends but since dealing with the excreable Endsleigh for my first home, I also detest insurance, so I tend to stick to a group of mostly co-ops who have never screwed me and are easy to deal with. I probably pay a few £s more than the cheapest but not much. The last time I remember paying extra for third-party was Zenith via a work's co-op preference deal a decade ago but they screwed me so I don't use them since.

Top Bottom