Compulsory Lights & Hi-viz.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

@I like Skol wrote "Headlights on non-dipped full beam are much better, but if you wander to either side of the beam you soon lose the effect and again fade into the general tapestry of the view. Reflectives really only work if low down (ankle strips) and directly in front of a vehicles lights."

I can concur with the comment which I emphasised above. National Highways (Highways England as was) did some trials with ankle strips for road workers several years ago and found them to be far more effective than anything else in circumstances where cars were likely to be driven on dipped beam. I believe they stopped short of mandating them but the results were sufficiently good that my employer changed all my hi-vis trousers for ones that included retroreflective ankle strips. I think I've still got a pair (that I may have forgotten to return) in the boot of my car.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
showing a picture of a cop car mangled and saying , see - even hi-viz cars get hit , not knowing the circumstances

The police car was parked in a closed lane on a long straight bit of dual carriageway with clear visibility in daylight. They had their blue flashers on. They had placed a warning sign 150 meter further back. They were helping with a breakdown in that lane. Despite this a driver still managed “not to see them” and piled into the back of the police car. Fortunately the officers were not in the vehicle at the time. This resulted in the entire section of dual carriageway being closed for several hours as a result of piss poor driving.

The reason you are told not to stay in your vehicle if you breakdown in such circumstances.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
I used to wear hi vis all the time but gradually got out of the habit of doing so. I notice no real difference I car behaviour.

The only thing I will say is that I conveniently happened to be wearing a hi vis top when I got T-boned and I feel it is a good thing I was, as it sort of removed the driver's excuse that he couldn't see me and my solicitor says it will stop the insurance company using my lack of hi vis as an excuse to say I was negligent.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I just think that the human brain is piss poor at spotting objects travelling in a straight line.
As I've said before, if you suspect a motorist entering from a junction/roundabout that could cause conflict, avoid riding in a straight line.
If you can, weave from side to side to improve the chance of being seen. Its not much, but I swear I've avoided being hit.

Jameshow

Veteran
I just think that the human brain is piss poor at spotting objects travelling in a straight line.
As I've said before, if you suspect a motorist entering from a junction/roundabout that could cause conflict, avoid riding in a straight line.
If you can, weave from side to side to improve the chance of being seen. Its not much, but I swear I've avoided being hit.

I do that esp on big roundabouts often intersections with A roads / M ways. I'll move my bike position / body to be seen better along with high Viz!

berty bassett

Legendary Member
fab. you're not interested in stats or studies... just common sense :wacko:

Basically yes - as most of us know by now facts and figures have a tendency to be spun in whatever people want them to say . Common sense I think would give me more chance of survival but feel free to do whatever you feel is safest 👍

classic33

Leg End Member
I saw that last night, but I reckoned it was clickbait to be honest.

https://road.cc/content/news/councillors-call-mandatory-hi-vis-all-cyclists-305825
This is typical traffic in Limerick cityc entre. In which the two councillors want cyclists to be using the two items in the thread title.
1560970089745_1636307802.jpg--.jpg

Slick

Guru
I used to wear hi vis all the time but gradually got out of the habit of doing so. I notice no real difference I car behaviour.

The only thing I will say is that I conveniently happened to be wearing a hi vis top when I got T-boned and I feel it is a good thing I was, as it sort of removed the driver's excuse that he couldn't see me and my solicitor says it will stop the insurance company using my lack of hi vis as an excuse to say I was negligent.

I'm sure there was already an example of this used in court against a cyclist discussed on here recently, and pretty much mirrors my own reasoning.

Jameshow

Veteran
This is typical traffic in Limerick cityc entre. In which the two councillors want cyclists to be using the two items in the thread title.
View attachment 717203

Yellow van and red crepes kiosk jump out to me...!

roley poley

Über Member
oh my here i go ..rule 60 of the highway code says amber pedal reflectors MUST be worn after the cut off of '85 ...how many bikes fresh out of the shop have these?? or the facility to fit them?? The up and down motion of pedaling can be seen from a distance with headlights even on dipped and clearly indicate a biker... i wear high viz retro reflective ankle bands to keep my pants out of the chain (also lights and retro reflective jacket)...i feel safer for doing so ...please shoot me down in flames because i would feel more visible on a night for you doing so :hello:

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member
oh my here i go ..rule 60 of the highway code says amber pedal reflectors MUST be worn after the cut off of '85 ...how many bikes fresh out of the shop have these?? or the facility to fit them?? The up and down motion of pedaling can be seen from a distance with headlights even on dipped and clearly indicate a biker... i wear high viz retro reflective ankle bands to keep my pants out of the chain (also lights and retro reflective jacket)...i feel safer for doing so ...please shoot me down in flames because i would feel more visible on a night for you doing so :hello:

I collect and repair older bikes, many of which were built before '85. However, if I'm going to be out after dark, I will try to have pedal reflectors.

Putting my driver's hat on, I often notice pedal reflectors before seeing anything else so feel they are a good idea. The are low enough to be picked up by dipped lamps and have motion on their side.

It helps of course that I don't use clipless pedals.

Top Bottom