Computer advice.............what is "long running script"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
When I am searching for some information the laptop will occasionally freeze and an oblong box at the bottom tells me.............xyz "is not responding due to long running script."
It give me the option to "stop" the script............then it all reboots (if that's the word) and gets the page back. When it happens it normally keeps happening on that page.
As an eg. I was just looking at a Daily Express review on some motoring products and it kept happening so I eventually had to give up.
Thanks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It's a bad case of the 'Coronation Street bug'! If it strikes on the TV, the solution is to change to a different channel.

On the computer, the only known solution is to abandon the Daily Express website and go somewhere else instead ... :whistle:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Most web pages will run bits of code to do what they do. The code should finish running at some point after the page loads, at least until you do something to the page. If the code gets stuck in a continuous uninterrupted loop or is still running after a fixed period of time, your browser will usually give you the option to stop it, otherwise you might not be able to interact with the page - it’ll either be frozen or horribly sluggish.

If you’ve got the message then it’s usually a sign that a web developer has effed up somewhere. It could be a rubbish bit of code from an advertiser that’s saved on your computer (cached). Try clearing the cache to see if that gets rid of the problem. Clear Cache is usually somewhere in the security or privacy settings of your browser.

It won’t do you any harm, but your browser may not automatically fill in passwords after you’ve cleared your cache.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Thanks for that.
As thay person suggests.....It only happens on certain sites. One of them is TUI which was a nuisance at the time.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think you may benefit from doing an ECDL course if thats what they are still called.
You appear to have a lot of problems with computers and mobiles etc.
I am just old fashioned. Me and computerised gizmos are not intended to get on.
I will look into that course although I dont like the idea.......it might while away some wet afternoons this winter.

Top Bottom