Computer advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimC

Hi, I'm looking for an easy to use computer which will give heart rate and cadence.

Please could anyone give any recommendations and/or the various pros and cons of wires vs wireless?

Hope some of you kind people can help.

Cheers
Tim

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
seconded. i've heard horror stories about sigma's wireless range, but i find the wired ones very good.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

Thanks for the advice!

Are there any particular makes/models that anyone would recommend?

bonj2

sigma bc1606L, but only 'cos it'sthe only one with backlight and that's wired.
Not incredibly reliable, I've had one bust but sent it back to sigma and they sent me a new one, didn't quibble.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The 1606L doesn't have an HRM though Bonj. (Does do Cadence though).

Sigma's BC1706 and 2006 wireless computers do have an HRM function but don't do cadence (see comparison table here.

I have a BC1606L myself - very pleased with it, used it in all weathers since January, and it's still going.

peterdowning

Veteran
TimC said:
Hi, I'm looking for an easy to use computer which will give heart rate and cadence.

Never used a wired cycle computer so as far as I'm concerned there are no problems with wireless ;) Honestly. Maybe I've been lucky? And all those wires really spoil the look of your bike .

I currently use an Edge 305 which had an HRM out of the box and then got the cadence accessory. It's easy to use for ride metrics and also has GPS for route recording/navigation (which can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be.)

Prior to that, I used a Polar CS200CAD. No GPS but... Excellent bit of kit. Wireless. Reliable. Easy to use. Uploaded ride metrics to the polarpersonaltrainer website via the microphone on my pc no problem.

peterdowning said:
Never used a wired cycle computer so as far as I'm concerned there are no problems with wireless ;) Honestly. Maybe I've been lucky? And all those wires really spoil the look of your bike .

I currently use an Edge 305 which had an HRM out of the box and then got the cadence accessory. It's easy to use for ride metrics and also has GPS for route recording/navigation (which can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be.)

Prior to that, I used a Polar CS200CAD. No GPS but... Excellent bit of kit. Wireless. Reliable. Easy to use. Uploaded ride metrics to the polarpersonaltrainer website via the microphone on my pc no problem.

I've not had a problem with wireless either. I've just got an Edge too and it seems like a good piece of kit. Ive used it mostly so far for recording the HR, Ive got the cadence sensor too but that's fitted to my better bike and I've only used it once. I've not navigated with it so far.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Have you looked at the Cateye V3:-
Current speed, cadence, heart rate
Average speed, cadence, heart rate
Maximum speed, cadence, heart rate
Calorie consumption
Countdown distance
Timer
Lap time, distance, average speed, number
Distance
Odometer
Total time, clock & date

peterdowning

Veteran
HLaB said:
.... Ive got the cadence sensor too but that's fitted to my better bike and I've only used it once. ...

Weather still bad up there then? ;)

TimC said:

Please could anyone give any recommendations and/or the various pros and cons of wires vs wireless?

Hope some of you kind people can help.

Cheers
Tim

Tim, how much are you prepared to pay for a 'pute? HRM + cadence doesn't come that cheap.

OP
OP
TimC

TimC

I'm looking for one for me and another as a present for my dad, who has just got into cycling, and it's his 60th bday coming up. I'd be looking at around the £100 mark for him - so the Polar CS200 looks pretty good.

I'm on a tighter budget fo myself so I reckon I'll make do without the HRM and spend around £20...

Tynan

Veteran
picked up a Delphi4 in LBS yesterday, I realise now I meant to bike a new lock but couldn't remember so bought a comp

wireless but seemingly wired cadence which is novel, mixed reviews (some say not qwaterproof), £34, seen it for about £27 online, and one place for £17!

Will1985

Über Member
You're very unlikely to find a wired computer with HRM. You're better off getting a separate HRM which you could then use off the bike.

I'm with Bonj and John the Monkey on this one....the Sigma BC1606L is robust and does have a backlight. Check out the Product Comparison test in C+ at the moment...might help you decide.

Top Bottom