1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer (not bike) related.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Elmer Fudd, 7 Jan 2008.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

I've a couple of issues with this 'ere box of tricks that I'm hoping someone can help me with.
    Answers in plain English would be of great help !
    First, I keep getting a pop-up from registry protector telling me over and over again (now turned off !!) that a registry entry is 'trying to apply', yes / no ?
    The route is :- HKEY_CLASS_ROOT vbsshellopencommand. I've found 2 or 3 of these looking in regedit, the question is are they harmful (Windows F/Wall starts but is now occasionally being switched off). I've read on some sites that they are spyware but reasonably harmless, nevertheless I don't want them if they are. Can I just delete them (after setting a restore point of course !).

Second thing is, while searching for these in regedit I came across a shed load of AOL related files. Now we haven't been on AOL since last June (now Talk Talk), I'm assuming I can gaily go through regedit deleting anything I find with AOL in it ?

I know this isn't really the right fora regarding this but I have joined 6 PC related fora today, 2 want money, 4 will get back to me when they see fit !

TIA

2. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Hi Elmer,

Try this excellent bit of free kit. Sorted out my corrupted registry.:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

3. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Oh, and if that doesn't work, try this other bit of freeware. They are both safe, I've used them for weeks.

http://www.threatfire.com/

4. barq

barq Senior Member

Remember to back up your registry before you do anything to it!

5. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

and remember to get a macintosh next time, save yourself all this malarky.