Computer question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry of this is the wrong forum but being a simpleton where computering is concerned, I'd like some advice.

Now this may seem especially simpleton-ish but how do you install anti-virus software or programmes onto one of those notebook-computer thingies that don't have a disk-drive?

I am about to buy one on-line for my upcoming sojourn to the freezing north but would really appreciate knowing how to get an anti-virus programme (the one I have is on a disc) onto the drive-less free notebook/laptop thing?

ASC1951

Guru
Someone more expert will be along in a moment, but there are AV programs you can run from a USB stick. Kaspersky have a version for Tablets, for instance, and I'm sure the other major offerings have a way to do it.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
On my netbook I've downloaded straight onto the machine albeit fairly lightweight free stuff like Avast or AVG. Currently using Microsoft's Security Essentials which does all I need.

If you have a disc already then an external CD reader might be a good buy. Alternatively, if you're on a home network it should be possible to designate the optical drive on another PC as a shared device and install from there.

BSRU

A Human Being
Can you not just download it from the internet?
Avast is free and just as good as paid for AV and also download Malwarebytes which is also fee.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
All good advice here actually, if I'm honest, what I really want is for someone to go 'Paul, you sit back and watch me do it for you' so thanks for it all.

Top Bottom