Computer recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
New bike, means I'll be looking for a new computer.

I want wireless (I think wired would spoil the look [vain, I know, but then ...]) and also want cadence too.

Not sure if I want to be able to download stuff or track my rides with GPS, but if the price isn't too steep I might consider it.

Come on then, let's have your recommendations ... ;):biggrin:

Cheers,
Shaun

Road Fiddler

Is there any advantages having wireless over hardwired? That's not a pop at your question Shaun just wondering if there was any.

The last time i had a comp on my bike was years ago when i raced, it was a Polaris HRM that you could strap to your bike and recorded speed, cadence and HR, you could upload this info to a PC.

I am thinking a comp might be useful as i get back into riding and am thinking cadence and average speed and possibly distance are the things that would be most useful.

I look forward to hearing everyones views.

alfablue

I like VDO's like the C3 DS (about £32).

7292.jpg

I like the clear screen and the fact that the time is always visible whatever other functions show. They mount on stem or bar. Battery life is about a year, which is good.

All VDO DS computers can take an optional accessory wireless cadence sensor.

I have had some recent good service from VDO - they carry a 5 year guarantee, my old (I think a few years older than 5 years) analogue wireless packed up. I sent it back to Germany and less than 2 weeks later they sent me a brand new CS D3!!! Brilliant.

Cateye are popular, but with another Cateye item I found it almost impossible to get warranty support from Zyro, the UK distributor, so won't buy Cateye now.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Okay, I've narrowed it down to the following:

• VDO C4-DS + Wireless Cad Sensor
  • Polar CS200cad
  • Cateye V2C Double Wireless

Anyone got experience with any of these?

Cheers,
Shaun

domtyler

Über Member
You would be mad not to look at the new Garmin Edge computers with built in GPS, they are simply amazing and raise the bar to a whole new level.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
domtyler said:
You would be mad not to look at the new Garmin Edge computers with built in GPS, they are simply amazing and raise the bar to a whole new level.

I did look at them, and they do look The Biz, but couldn't really justify the price. I think my budget lies somewhere around £100 max.

It also looks like the Cateye V2C Double is new to market this month, so I'm having a job finding a review of it anywhere.

Top Bottom