computer set up question from a numpty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've got a new PC which I've wired up and plugged in but the monitor just says, " no video signal".
The call helpline is shut so I'm relying on you clever people! I've tried re-attaching the cable a few times to no avail.

cheers

have you tried turning it off and on again?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The video card is knackered, or you may have plugged the monitor into the motherboard's video out, whereas it should be in the graphics card's video out.

on the road

Über Member
Does the computer actually come on even though there's no picture on the monitor?

Can you hear the fans?

When you switch the computer on do you hear a beep from the pc speaker telling you it's passed the bios check?

Do you hear the hard drive working or see the hard drive lights come on during power up?

Or do you hear a series of beeps telling you somethings up.

It could be something as simple as a loose cable but check to see if any of the above apply.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apologies. Thanks for the help. I got distracted by a minor crisis.

I've re-jiggled the leads a few times. No joy

The computer seems to be working - fan, lights etc but blank screen

I may have had the power on to the PC when I switched on the monitor

I think it's plugged into the right socket as it only seems to fit one

on the road

Über Member
Try to see if you can tighten the screws on the plugs a bit more.

If you had the pc on while attaching the cable then it's possible that you could have damaged the video card, the only way to find out is to try another card (one that you know is working) in the socket, it would mean you having to open up the pc case, if you bought the pc from a pc supplier then that would void it's warranty so the only option would be to phone tech support and maybe have the pc sent back to them or have them send an engineer out depending on what type of support you have.

Another possibility is that the video card might not be seated in its slot properly, even if it's a tiny bit out the card won't work. Again you'd have to open the box to find out.

Often when I'm plugging the cable in to my card I sometimes dislodge the card without realising, on opening the case I can see that the card's lifted up very slightly, just a case of pushing it down until it snaps in to place.

All good suggestions so far.

Have you tried simply yanking the kettle lead out of the monitor and shoving it back in again. I've known some monitors refuse to acknowledge the existence of a PC until said approach.

col

Legendary Member
rich p said:
I've got a new PC which I've wired up and plugged in but the monitor just says, " no video signal".
The call helpline is shut so I'm relying on you clever people! I've tried re-attaching the cable a few times to no avail.

cheers

Not sure if this helps,but my monitor shows this when the monitor is in standby,is the green light on or orange?the orange means,on mine anyway,that its on standby,i just pushed the on/off button,but it is a mistake that took me ages to figure out when i first got mine.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Computers are not really my thing, but is it possible that there is both a Digital (DVI) and analog (RGB) outputs. They are different shaped leads. Did you get more than one lead with the monitor/PC ?

Andrew

Top Bottom