1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer that doesn't leak?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by ASC1951, 13 May 2008.

1. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

My Oktos has finally packed in after a wet winter. Are there any makes that don't let in water at all, or do I just have to remember to grease the battery cover and accept that none of them last more than a couple of seasons in the wet?

I see that the top Cateye doesn't have any buttons at all but I suppose water will still get in round the battery.

2. I've had my Cateye (not sure what model, cost about £30) for almost three years and it's never failed and I'm on the bike all through winter as well.

3. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

My Halfords wired 12-function has seen me through two years of winter and summer downpours on my 20-mile round-trips and is still working perfectly.

4. I've got a cheap Raleigh Echo Wireless on my commuter and its never given me a problem, its used all year round. Except that if the rain/ sleet/ snow was heavy the sensor battery needs to relatively new. On my Winter Bike, Ive got a Cateye Microwireless and its never given me a problem either and its used in all conditions.

5. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I have had a cateye enduro 2 now for about 4 years used all year round, no problems with water.

6. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Try riding without a computer for a while, you may find it quite liberating.

7. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

My cateye dies as soon as it rains..bloody hopeless

8. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

My mate smeared some silicone sealent on the joints on his cheapo one and it was fine in the rain.

9. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Cateye Vecra user x 2 here (old model) - both over 12 years old - work fine. Sometimes stop in hissing rain due to water in between the computer and bracket shorting the signal, remove refit and then fine.

10. Rob S

Rob S New Member

My VDO C2 is great in the wet, both in terms of the unit's waterproofing and the contacts not getting wet (which was always a problem with my Cateye OS1.

11. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

Thanks for that, guys. It sounds like the Oktos is the problem. I'll give the Cateye a go.

12. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

I have a Sigma BC906 tat has been out in very wet weather and still works. Its been dropper many times and hasnt broke. Looking at it now there is only 2 small marks on it and thats about it.
    It also looks smart(or so i think)

13. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I use a Cateye Micro Wireless and it goes in my pocket in the rain, where it still picks up the signal.

14. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

I have a Sigma BC 1106 which has had no problems even on an all day epic in pretty foul weather more than can be said for my mobile which died.

15. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

I wrap mine in cling film