Computers:- T'interweb connections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
BT and ISPs fiddle the vital stats you connect at. You could be on an aluminium line, on upto 8Mbs and be 2.5 miles from the exchange and still have a stableish connection.

As for whoever asked about their router, you should be able to log in by http://192.168.x.x (whatever it is for your router) and then their being a reboot option in there.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If I want to cross delete things - it works:smile: thank you ever so. twentyfive by twentysix.

bonj2

I've got talktalk (wired) and normally it's very good but sometimes it goes iffy. It'll keep dropping the connection and then connecting again, and keep repeating every minute so you can't really have a decent surfing session or download anything. It doesn't do it that often, but whenever I ring up to complain I get some numpty in mumbai blaming my setup or my modem and keeps telling me to reboot the modem or delete cookies (like that's going to help) - I tell them it's a problem with the line but there's nothing they can do as they're just reading from a script and that's as much as they can do. After I get to the end of their script I get a flag set on my phone number that allows me to ring second line support which is apparently in the uk, without going through to mumbai, but I've given up waiting in the queue after about half an hour. I suppose that's why it's cheap... only £21 a month compared to BT's best part of £40./.
But the first time it happened I was using my BT modem and I had to tell talktalk to send me one of their modems and that worked. Then last time it happened again on my talktalk modem, so I plugged my BT modem in again and that worked... what changes I don't know.

col

Legendary Member
I only pay £18 a month for broadband with virgin,had it a few years,origionaly with ntl.?

domtyler

Über Member
£18 a month does not sound cheap to me, I have mine through Sky which is free for 2mbps and 2gb limit. In fact my entire Sky package, including Sky+, six basic TV packages (no premium sport/movie channels), SkyTalk (cheap calls) and Sky Broadband is only £21 pm.

Ive had Virgin for a year now and touch wood, no problems, one of the reasons I chose it, it doesn't rely on BT.

Back to the OP problems I saw a program a while ago which said that a lot of Talk Talk customers were experiencing problems, they (TT) were caught out by the level of demand for the product.

bonj2

col said:
I only pay £18 a month for broadband with virgin,had it a few years,origionaly with ntl.?

yeah but is that for phoneline aswell?
I only have a landline in order to have the internet. £21's for the whole package.

marinyork

Sky's product is very good but its price will rise as Sky are losing money out of it. Virgin Media's products were great until STM came in.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domtyler said:
£18 a month does not sound cheap to me, I have mine through Sky which is free for 2mbps and 2gb limit. In fact my entire Sky package, including Sky+, six basic TV packages (no premium sport/movie channels), SkyTalk (cheap calls) and Sky Broadband is only £21 pm.
That's because us mere mortals are subsidising you every time we go shopping because of the advertising

I didn't say that !!

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:

That sounds good .But i think it may only be temporary,as a sweetener?unless of course you have had it for more than a year,in which case its very good indeed.

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
That sounds good .But i think it may only be temporary,as a sweetener?unless of course you have had it for more than a year,in which case its very good indeed.

I think it's because I have had the Sky account going since we moved in here six years ago and got Sky+ as soon as it came out. They sent me a letter last July saying that "...as a long standing and well valued customer etc. they were going to waive the normal £10 pm charge for Sky+ from here on! ;):biggrin: Result!

marinyork

Sky don't have a charge for Sky+ under normal subscription circumstances since the summer, it's the same for everyone. The Sky broadband is very fast as they bought up Easynet who were very good. In my previous house the landlord got Sky 2 mixes and upto 16Mbs net and sky+ for £25 a month (20 or 15 with lower broadband packages). Connected at 11-13Mbs and got downloads of upto 12Mbs.

Long term sky will put the prices for broadband up as it's affecting their profits.

ajevans

col said:
It did seem to all start when my son downloaded a few free mobile phone games,iv used edonkey in the passed,now uninstalled,and limewire for music,and never had problems,i havnt changed any settings,as far as i know?

Installing Windows on your PC is liking giving it the HIV virus. It'll be fine for awhile but at some point it will develop the full-blown AIDS virus and will become kaput.

Installing things like such as free mobile phone games and certain file sharing sites is basically inviting malware onto your PC or to use my analogy exposing your PC to illnesses when it's got a dodgy immune system.

Back up everyting you need and reinstall windows and everyting will be right as rain.

col

Legendary Member
ajevans said:
Installing Windows on your PC is liking giving it the HIV virus. It'll be fine for awhile but at some point it will develop the full-blown AIDS virus and will become kaput.

Installing things like such as free mobile phone games and certain file sharing sites is basically inviting malware onto your PC or to use my analogy exposing your PC to illnesses when it's got a dodgy immune system.

Back up everyting you need and reinstall windows and everyting will be right as rain.

Cheers for that,i will when i can,i did try a reformat,but didnt need to save anything to disk,as it kept all my pics and things for me,i take it that isnt as good as reinstalling?

Top Bottom