Computers:- T'interweb connections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Elmer Fudd said:
Col,
Tried a system restore ?

Actualy no i havnt,i have in the passed when something i installed didnt work well,but i hadnt thought of that?;) Cheers Elmer,ill do it post haste:biggrin:

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Andy in Sig said:
No use asking me. I've only just found out that IE stands for Internet Explorer. This is allegedly common knowledge. I am now trialling Mozarella Firefox on the recommendation of Dom Tyler. It seems to be working.

IE really stands for Individual Experience !
As in, if something goes wrong pal, you are on your own !! ;)

Invite Everyone !
or Internet Excretor. Welcome to Internet Hell and castration by POP up..
Windows has nice screensavers though.

ajevans

col said:
Cheers for that,i will when i can,i did try a reformat,but didnt need to save anything to disk,as it kept all my pics and things for me,i take it that isnt as good as reinstalling?

Hmm that doesn't sound like a proper reformat to me. Might be worth a try, if no luck then go for the nuclear option, back up everything you need and completely reformat everything and then reinstalled windows.

I remember doing that to a windows installation and despite having the same hardware and same version of windows the speed increase was phenomenal.

ajevans

Yes it takes a while but doesn't take your whole attention.

Start formatting. Go have a cup of tea, watch some TV.
Insert XP disk, 5 minutes of clicking them go off whilst it does its thing.

Clever malware can avoid spybot but not a complete reformat.

It's a bit of hassle but worth the time investment if all else fails.

Van Nick

Elmer Fudd said:
Doesn't it take ages / hours to re-install XP though ?

Generally yes, but it all depends on the speed of your computer. You can buy hard disks that spin at 10,000 RPM now rather than the usual 7,200 RPM, but these can generate a lot more heat. Solid State Hard Drives are gradually becoming mainstream and these will be quicker as well.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Van Nick said:
Generally yes, but it all depends on the speed of your computer. You can buy hard disks that spin at 10,000 RPM now rather than the usual 7,200 RPM, but these can generate a lot more heat. Solid State Hard Drives are gradually becoming mainstream and these will be quicker as well.
'Puter this end is eight years old. has a wind up handle in the side !!

col

Legendary Member
ajevans said:
Hmm that doesn't sound like a proper reformat to me. Might be worth a try, if no luck then go for the nuclear option, back up everything you need and completely reformat everything and then reinstalled windows.

I remember doing that to a windows installation and despite having the same hardware and same version of windows the speed increase was phenomenal.

Ill give that a try too,when i have more time,but im unsure how to go about it? cheers for that.

Top Bottom