Concerns about Carbon Fibre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Nothing wrong with carbon as a material. It's how you design and build the frame that counts, but so it is with any other material. You can easily make a bad frame out of anything if you try!

Its definitely a DIFFERENT BIKE

FTFY.

Its definitely an upgrade, as the CAAD10/105 is heavier
FWIW my own CAAD10 DA is lighter than the Trek Madone 5.5 and the Focus Cayo Pro, (both full carbon), that went before it, go figure.[/QUOTE]

The CAAD10/105 flexes a LOT
Really? Mine doesn't flex at all, (at least that I'd notice), and I am definitely what you would call a heavy rider. I'd wager it's just the wheels as the frame is very stiff as required by a bike of it's nature. All manufacturers scrimp on wheels so stock wheels always tend to be a bit cheesy IME.

It has a far better groupset
So it's a groupset upgrade not a a bike upgrade.

Whereas the Synapse should be a lot more comfortable on my collapsed spinal disk and just more comfy all round.
And there it is. FWIW I'm struggling a bit myself with the geometry these days due to lack of fitness and a recurring bad back. However, prior to my last ride I flipped the stem and found this helped a great deal with comfort so you might want to try that.

However if you feel you need to swap then fill your boots but just don't believe the hype that carbon fibre is an upgrade to any other frame material, it isn't it's just different.

Good luck with the Synapse.

Not necessarily.
If a metal tube kinks, the frame is knackered, so it's not a given that you'd have got away with it on a metal frame
Maybe, maybe not. I believe that to be the case in this instance.
045.JPG
(not the best image but gives an idea of damage)
Sounds like you were very unlucky.
I was told that but it was no consolation considering how much I'd just forked out for it!!!

I think there's a balance-point here to be made. Carbon/composites are a wonderful family of materials, certainly amazingly strong and light but as with any newer material there are still a few lessons being learned. I ride a Titanium bike these days because the last time I spent a lot of money on a (carbon as it happens) bike it suffered a pretty catastrophic frame failure.

Now, to be clear, in my opinion the reason that happened is because they were using a monocoque design, something you very rarely see these days. So is carbon an inherently flawed material? IMHO no, it's a great material but use it wrong as with anything and you (or your customers) will suffer...perhaps in rather impressive ways. I often admire other riders' carbon beasties but I'll stick to my Ti for now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ah well. I'd love a carbon bike but my 25 year old Columbus SLX hand built for me will do. Custom paint job too.

Can't afford a new bike.

OP
OP
RCITGuy

RCITGuy

Thanks for all the replies guys... I have already had a bike-fit last year on the CAAD10 and the stem was replaced and flipped and the hoods raised to ease a bit of pain between the shoulder blades, but its still not comfortable when approaching 40k+ distances..

I think it was about 9 months after owning the CAAD10 I learned that I probably should have got a Synapse to start with, but hey ho, I saw the bling and pushed the button, clueless..

So for me, the geometry and comfort is #1, and the 2kg less bike weight is a bonus, and its better spec groupset is another bonus and the hydrolic brakes is a huge plus when trying to stop my fat ass at the bottom of a hill :-)

So all round, its a huge upgrade over the CAAD10 in every sense, no matter which order I put those items in...

I guess like all bikes, you only have to crash it the wrong way once and its gonna bust it...?

OP
OP
RCITGuy

RCITGuy

So are you saying your Synapse is 2Kg lighter than your CAAD10 even with Hydraulic brakes? You sure about that?
Arghhhh, I made a poop... OK, I must have mis-read something, because I cant for the life of me find the weight of it anywhere.
The 2015 model is 8.4kg, so my guess is, the 2016 is going to be the same. My bad **scoots away to cleanup the mess**

outlash

also available in orange
I think what you're actually trying to say is that the CAAD isn't really the bike for you. The Synapse might (hopefully) be more suited for your needs. It's not a better bike, it's a different bike as Smokeysmoo tried to point out :smile:.

Top Bottom