Concerns about Carbon Fibre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Am I the only one who's thinking that going from a CAAD10 to a Synapse isn't much of an upgrade?
CAAD10's a fantastic frame. Not ridden a synapse cf but I reckon it'll ride smoother. My supersix rides much nicer than caad10.

Now you've done it, im drooling over buying a caad..they even have a disk model in blue.

Last edited:

outlash

also available in orange
CAAD12? Supposed to be that bit better than the 10....

vickster

Legendary Member
I've had my carbon bike for 4 years, good as new other than the inevitable couple of stone chips, ok I've only done around 2000 miles on it but it certainly shows no signs of disintegrating with age! I just wipe it down with babywipes when it's less than spotless!

Wouldn't want it as my only bike though, I feel 4 is my sweet spot ;-)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
after reading all the above comments and thinking it over myself I tend to agree with you all. My lbs owner is out of touch with modern materials and technology.

Last edited:
I must be one of the few on CC who is not a carbon fan. On my first long (for me!) ride on CF, I had a clipless moment and suffered seat stay damage rendering the bike unrideable. I have not been able to have it repaired. If this had happened with alu, steel or ti, the frame would still be in use. I will never spend my own money on a CF framed bike.

Citius

I had a clipless moment and suffered seat stay damage rendering the bike unrideable. I have not been able to have it repaired. If this had happened with alu, steel or ti, the frame would still be in use

Not necessarily.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I must be one of the few on CC who is not a carbon fan. On my first long (for me!) ride on CF, I had a clipless moment and suffered seat stay damage rendering the bike unrideable. I have not been able to have it repaired. If this had happened with alu, steel or ti, the frame would still be in use. I will never spend my own money on a CF framed bike.
If a metal tube kinks, the frame is knackered, so it's not a given that you'd have got away with it on a metal frame. Sounds like you were very unlucky.

Carbon is a fantastic material to make bike frames out of, but it's not for everyone as it is more expensive to produce. The bike market in general is still dominated by metal frames, be that steel or aluminium. There's nothing wrong with either of them.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Its definitely an upgrade, as the CAAD10/105 is heavier, flexes a LOT (Can be seen dramatically on the turbo) and is a sport racing frame, so is not as comfortable to ride, whereas the Synapse is lighter, has a far better groupset but more importantly for me, should be a lot more comfortable on my collapsed spinal disk and just more comfy all round.

Am I missing something then as you reckon the 2014 CAAD10 is better? Why is it better?

Didn't say the CAAD is better. Merely pointed out that there isn't a helluva difference between the two bikes. The Synapse is a quality product. If that's what you want I'm not gonna try and dissuade you. :smile:

Colin_P

Guru
Never been on one but cannot get the thought of a carbon framed bike exploding into a cloud of dust and splinters if I went over a big pothole.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never been on one but cannot get the thought of a carbon framed bike exploding into a cloud of dust and splinters if I went over a big pothole.
I've hit some beastly holes on mine, it's never exploded, but it is more comfortable going over them than on an alu frame (about as comfortable as steel mind)

vickster

Legendary Member
A carbon tandem and what looks like filthy mountain bike. Hardly normal road use. I wouldn't buy a Specialized anyhow :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks for the link to the banana idiots sites. Sheesh.

I've crashed my alloy and carbon Fixie a few times and it's not broken. Carbon forks and seat post.

Top Bottom