Concerns of an unfit person

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Good for getting started!
My additional advice is to start-off slowly in an easy gear. Your body will take a bit of time to adapt to the sudden increase in effort, i.e for the heart, lungs and muscles to fire themselves up to a higher work rate. I'm 50, 90kg with a heart condition and a regular cyclists since a kid, it still takes me around 15 minutes gentle spinning to warm-up and to get up to speed.
Inclines - just take gently.
Frequency, get out as often as you can, but don't overdo it. If you feel tired then take a rest for a day. Most of all, make cycling enjoyable, not a chore, find nice routes and enjoy your freedom!
The fitness will build quickly on a bike.
Also ... make sure the tyres are properly inflated, this makes a big difference to effort.
Walk. OK, seems obvious, but more walking when you can will again contribute to fitness building, walk to the shops, walk more in the office, up stairs, instead of elevators, it's surprising how much little bits of extra exercise we can fit into a normal day ... and it all counts!

Welcome ... and Enjoy!

Crankarm

Guru
As a rule, if your heel is on the pedal then your leg should be straight - the idea being that when the front of your foot is on the pedal, your leg will be slightly bent. Heel on pedal with a bent leg will mean that the saddle still ends up being too low...

Nope, heel on pedal at bottom of pedal stroke, leg should NOT be straight but v v slightly bent so knee joint is not locked out straight.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The method is a pretty good baseline for many people, but those with small or large feet may find that it doesn't work well. Regardless though, you will end up fine tuning things a bit over time.

Mod Edited

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris-H

Über Member
I'm not in doubt so I don't need to google it. Not everything on Google is right you know. I am right.
I've had 2 professional bike fits over the past 3 years and both times my bike was set up as Dusty describes, if heel is on the pedal then the leg is straight.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
good on you for making a start!
Loads of good advice here already, just stick at it. I used to be a sporadic rider. I'd ride three or four times a week for months then stop only to start again a few months later. It used to kill me starting back again. Sore legs, lowest gear on my mountain bike grinding up hills, lol! Stick at it, it will get easier, you may begin to enjoy the, er, how can I put it, the enjoyment of suffering on a bike!
No, seriously, enjoy your rides, take in the scenery, the fresh air - that's what it's about.

Linford

My LBS gave the advice 'Heel on the pedal with a straight leg' If you do this, you are going to be fairly close. You may need to track the seat back or forward on its rails a few millimetres , and you may find that the bars may need re-positioning forward or backwards with the substitution of a new stem to get a spot on bike setup :smile:

Correct setup makes a world of difference.

Crankarm

Guru
I've had 2 professional bike fits over the past 3 years and both times my bike was set up as Dusty describes, if heel is on the pedal then the leg is straight.

And did the fit make you a professional rider? No, I thought not. Anyone can stick a sign up stating "Professional bike fitter". If it worked for you great. How much did it cost you?

jay clock

Massive member
in response to the actual post rather than the side show argument, you state you are hugely overweight. Your BMI suggests otherwise as you are only at 26.9, so overweight. Mine is 28.5 and I managed an Ironman perfectly ok on that in July. Would prefer to be lighter of course. But your pain is likely about bike fit, not weight

Tyke

I agree with the advice 'Heel on the pedal with a straight leg' If you do this as a starting point and then adjust in small increments until you are comfortable you wont go far wrong. Its worked for me for the last 50 odd years, unless I`m doing it wrong. You also need to think about bar hight and reach.

Top Bottom