Concerns of an unfit person

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tpw123

I've been near to sedentary for a long time and have recently started cycling to hopefully regain some form of fitness and lose some weight. I'm currently 172lbs and I'm 5'7". My fitness feels to me to be about as bad as it can get, I started cycling 2.5K daily (close to nothing, I'm aware) and have just upped it to 5K a day. Here's my concern; my thighs/legs in general start to ache an absolute ton after even a couple of minutes of cycling. It doesn't seem like any kind of long term endurance makes them ache, they just start to hurt almost immediately, and it gets really, really tiresome when I'm on ANY kind of incline. It's like even the slight strain of pedalling the bike is making my muscles feel as though I'm doing some kind of hardcore resistance exercise, it's terribly annoying. I know a lot of people who are recently restarting some kind of exercise complain that they feel just awful, but I'm really concerned that something else is going on here. The distances I'm going are low, it's not like I'm hugely overweight and I'm only 23. Does anyone have any information/advice to impart?

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome to the forum tpw123 :smile:
I would suggest forgetting about distance travelled for just now and concentrate more on time on the bike. Get out more than once a day, if you can, and try to arrange it so that you get home before suffering pain.
After a few, lets say 20 minute rides, you could try 25 minute rides, continue gradually upping the time on the bike, and you will know in your own mind when to start considering mileage and speed.
How come a 23 year old in the UK is expressing himself in imperial measures? I was converted to metric a lot more than 23 years ago^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
If your legs hurt that much that quickly, is the saddle far too low. On the saddle, Your leg should be slightly bent when your heel is on the pedal at the bottom stroke. You may not be able to reach the ground, you may feel high in the air, but that's as it should be, your legs and knees will that you. Are you in the right gear so you spin rather than grind the pedals round...ignore this if riding fixed (chapeau if you are)

Keep at it :smile:

Kies

Also check you are sitting on the bike correctly with the saddle set to the correct height. Just google "bike fit" for pages of information.
After that just spend time as and when you can in the saddle. The fitness will come, but after years of sedantry living, the body takes time to adjust.

Edit: SNAP Vickster

On the saddle, Your leg should be slightly bent when your heel is on the pedal at the bottom stroke.

As a rule, if your heel is on the pedal then your leg should be straight - the idea being that when the front of your foot is on the pedal, your leg will be slightly bent. Heel on pedal with a bent leg will mean that the saddle still ends up being too low...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We all have to start from where we are - I could hardly walk up my stairs after a ride when I first started cycling up here in Yorkshire.

How would you feel if you walked 5 km? The reason I'm asking is if you can walk that distance ok then you should be fine riding it. If walking is ok but cycling isn't then you either have the wrong size bike, the right size bike but not set up correctly, are overgeared, or are trying to ride too fast. If you can't walk 5 kms without problems, then you are just unfit and need to keep working at it. It is surprising how quickly you can build up some fitness if you do stick at it.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'll echo the comments about the fit and setup of the bike.
Once all that's sorted it is a case of patience to meet you expectations. Just keep the gears relatively low, take your time, and don't set any big targets. The rest will follow.

Have fun :thumbsup:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Well done for posting, for getting on that bike and for asking.:thumbsup:

It will take a while but what is the rush? This is something that can help you with that weight loss, can help get you fit and will get you out there in the fresh air.

I echo the words above about bike fit etc thats important and will make a lot of difference but especially about time in the saddle. Don't get hung up on mileage, time or speed. Get out there and enjoy your ride. Ride 5 miles then have a rest, take in the scenery, have a cup of tea and then ride a few more before you head for home.

The more you enjoy the experience of riding and all that comes with it the longer you are likely to keep doing it.

Good luck with your journey, enjoy the ride,keep us posted and take some pictures of your ride and post in the your ride today thread . Don't forget to ask any questions either.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi. Welcome from powys. Everyone above has given you good advise and I can't add anything. All I can say is, take they're advise then take things nice and slow. How far you go isnt important. Even if you can only go from one end of the road to the next that's fine. You have to start somewhere. Gradually you will be able to go further.

Don't get disheartened. You will get better.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Rest. Achy muscles are a tired muscles. Rest them for a day to give them a chance to recover - that's when the benefit accrues.

byegad

Legendary Member
As a rule, if your heel is on the pedal then your leg should be straight - the idea being that when the front of your foot is on the pedal, your leg will be slightly bent. Heel on pedal with a bent leg will mean that the saddle still ends up being too low...

Totally agree after doing this you may eventually move the saddle a little further up or a touch down but this is the ideal. A low saddle makes legs ache like mad!

Top Bottom