condensation inside the tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
I think it's one of those perennial dilemmas. Nice warm tent, cold humid night, condensation is pretty much inevitable. you can reduce the condensation but only by increasing the ventilation and making the tent colder.

Sorry, but I don't understand the point of faffing with microtowels: you're not going to get the tent thoroughly dry - so you might as well pack it wet and dry it out when you arrive.

I think it's one of those perennial dilemmas. Nice warm tent, cold humid night, condensation is pretty much inevitable. you can reduce the condensation but only by increasing the ventilation and making the tent colder.

Sorry, but I don't understand the point of faffing with microtowels: you're not going to get the tent thoroughly dry - so you might as well pack it wet and dry it out when you arrive.

stops the excess water running down the inside of the panniers and soaking everything - the tent is only damp not dripping, but each to their own.

sgw

nice idea..... anyone tried it? And how many kilos do I need to carry?

Tons?

Any moisture it extracts from the air is constantly being added to by breathing, ventilation and wet equipment. Some caravaners swear by leaving those desicant crystals in pots in their vans over winter. I am not convinced it achieves any improvement. And in a damp tent in a damp atmosphere?

Crankarm

Guru
Can't say I have noticed condensation on internal surfaces of my Vaude Taurus Ultra Light. But I have not used it in cold or damp weather in late autumn/winter. It stands to reason if the temp outside the tent is lower than inside then water vapour in the air inside or between inner and fly whether as a result of your breathing or very damp weather will condense. I guess the only way to avoid it is to camp under shelter, impractical, or hope the sun rises early to dry it out.

asterix

Comrade Member
It's why I like to use a large tent (Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT) even when cycling in the hills or mountains - I don't need to touch the walls. On wet days I have even hung up clothes to dry in it. When moving on it gets a good shake before being put away wet in a cotton pannier (I don't use plastic panniers).

For car camping we have a lovely cotton frame tent. You still get a bit of condensation on the outer, but it dries much quicker than the big quick-erect polyester tent we bought and quickly sold again.

I've nothing against m/m fibres but the natural stuff still has its uses IMO.

andym

Über Member
stops the excess water running down the inside of the panniers and soaking everything - the tent is only damp not dripping, but each to their own.

Each to their own as you say, personally I put the tent etc In a drybag and bungee it to the top of the rack.

knotbury

Just had a few nights camping in Cornwall. Woke up in the morning and the inside of the tent was really wet with condensation, it was a really dewy night and the temp dropped down to around 2 oc. Is it normal to build up so much so much condensation in the tent. I was using the vango tempest 200

knotbury

;)I had a similar experience on a ride down to Cornwall last April. Tee frost seemed to sort it out as the condesation froze on the inside of the tent! Sometimes the cure is worse than the problem. On the bright side it seems to be an issue however much you shell out for your tent. My Robert Saunders Backpacker 2 has served me well since I bought it ex hire in the late 70s I would replace it if I could justify the cost but it is as light and compact as many modern high end tents and I already have it.

One partial remedy(not quite the right word) was to lay the tent out in the sun later in the day while I had my lunch and evaporate the moisture/weight away while taking on fuel. I also tried to camp in positions where I would catch the morning sun but that can be tricky and I preferred to get going rather than wait for weak sunshine to dry out the tent. I found an alternative bag for the tent (camping chair I think) which wasmore visible, longer and thinner than the original and allowed me to stow the tent on top of the rack where a soggy tent would do least harm.

Anyway as the condensation is caused by breathing it is better than the alternative ;)

billflat12

Veteran
I find uk in general is very humid so feel the cold more when things are damp, so if it,s humid i clear any condensation with plenty of ventilation before i set off , i usually open all doors/vents raise the tent off the ground as much as possible while i have breakfast , unless its raining or i need to get going. Then i will pack it on the rack after separating the inner from the outer, packing anything still damp into a dry sack , or into it,s polyester stuffsack if its sunny, i then try to arrive at my next camp as early as possible and pitch with all doors an vents fully open and give it a good airing while i get cleaned up and have a quick brew. i always make sure my sleeping bag is kept dry an packed with my dry clothes in a proper waterproof pannier and will never put it inside until i am happy the tent is fully aired . Also when i finally arrive home i will leave everything out airing for a few days to prevent mildew rotting everything in dry storage.

I find uk in general is very humid so feel the cold more when things are damp, so if it,s humid i clear any condensation with plenty of ventilation before i set off , i usually open all doors/vents raise the tent off the ground as much as possible while i have breakfast , unless its raining or i need to get going. Then i will pack it on the rack after separating the inner from the outer, packing anything still damp into a dry sack , or into it,s polyester stuffsack if its sunny, i then try to arrive at my next camp as early as possible and pitch with all doors an vents fully open and give it a good airing while i get cleaned up and have a quick brew. i always make sure my sleeping bag is kept dry an packed with my dry clothes in a proper waterproof pannier and will never put it inside until i am happy the tent is fully aired . Also when i finally arrive home i will leave everything out airing for a few days to prevent mildew rotting everything in dry storage.

Me I am a lasy old bugger, if I am backpacking the tent is stuffed wet or not top inside of the backpack but into a large polly bag, if cycletouring then it gets stuffed into the pannier I use as my wet pannier, then when I arrive wherever I am going to camp, it is the first item to be taken out and erected, I am happy to live with a wet tent, once i am inside and am as snug as a bug in a rug, it matters little if the tent is wet or not, and the chances are it will get wet again anyway, some of my friends flaff around splitting the inner and outer, neatly rolling it up. then winge and moan that at our nights campsite they take so long putting up the tent, whereas i am by then brewing up or halfway cooking my meal.

Top Bottom