condensation inside the tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a few nights camping in Cornwall. Woke up in the morning and the inside of the tent was really wet with condensation, it was a really dewy night and the temp dropped down to around 2 oc. Is it normal to build up so much so much condensation in the tent. I was using the vango tempest 200

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had the same problem on a recent trip down Berkshire way. Sunny and warm during the day: cold, still night. Inside of tent wet with condensation, then had to roll it up on grass wet with dew so the outside got wet too. Might as well have been out in the rain with it. Mine was a cheapie from Go-Sport in France. I would assume that to cure the condensation, you would need some sort of breathable tent, made from GoreTex or something equally expensive :biggrin:.

BTW, the following 3 nights were spent in a Travelodge :sad:.

My tent's an expensive Hilleberg. I still got loads of condensation when cycling from the UK to the Costa del Sol last summer, with the door flap closed or not. Just seems to be one of those things.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Same problem in France in the summer in both the tiny Saunders Spacepacker & the ginormous Rigidome. I actually thought the rigidome was leaking until it dripped just as much after a cool dry night.

Dries off pretty quickly in the sun but it's a royal pain on a shady pitch if you want to be away sharpish.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Just had a few nights camping in Cornwall. Woke up in the morning and the inside of the tent was really wet with condensation, it was a really dewy night and the temp dropped down to around 2 oc. Is it normal to build up so much so much condensation in the tent. I was using the vango tempest 200

Is your tent a single skin or does it have an inner tent and flysheet? I think any tent with only single skin will suffer.

Its a problem with a lot of smaller tents, after a while you get used to it, and most of us experment with the door or vents adjustments to get air to pass throught the tent.

sgw

I did read somewhere about the amount of water expired overnight (no not in the empty beer cans ;)). It was amazingly high, more than a pint I seem to remember. Can't find any reference though.

It is a problem though. I find wet panniers and other gear in tent makes it worse. I leave all outside in a big tough polybag if its safe. Max tolerable ventilation being about all else you can do.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
If there's dew you'll get condensation in any tent, even if it's just a tarp with the lower edges a couple of feet off the ground. The only way to avoid it is to camp where there won't be any dew - e.g. under trees. That however has its drawbacks, such as dripping after rain or sticky sap on the flysheet. If you are car camping you can also use a tent with a cotton flysheet that will absorb the condensation so it's not apparent.

Otherwise: a better ventilated tent helps, a bigger tent helps, keeping damp gear sealed away helps, a porch floor helps.

To find out how much water vapour you breathe out overnight, weigh yourself immediately before going to bed and again immediately after getting up (before going to the loo).

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering

It's to be expected on cold nights. Where else is the vapour in your breath going to condense? You can reduce but not totally eliminate condensation on your fly sheet by leaving the vents open if you have them. I had some condensation on the cooler nights in France this August. In the past I used to use a microfibre towel to wipe the inside of the fly sheet before packing the tent each morning. Now I don't bother.

battered

Guru
It's very common. A single skin tent is worst, but you'll always get some under the fly in a double skin tent. The only "cure" is to ventilate it as much as possible and ensure the inner is off the fly. A GoreTex tent is not the solution you'd think, GTX only works with a temperature gradient to drive the moisture out. As a result it works in high mountains for small tents, but in warm damp conditions they don't work. You get some condensation in the cooler foot end of a goretx bivi bag, even in high mountain conditions of low humidity and cold temps.

OP
OP
roundisland
Is your tent a single skin or does it have an inner tent and flysheet? I think any tent with only single skin will suffer.

Mine has an inner fly sheet no condensation on that just on the outer flysheet. Looks like its something that I will have to live with. Was definitely worst when really dewy.

The worst thing was that it began to rain about 7am and the rain droplets hitting the surface of the tent made the condensation fall. All part of the camping experience :smile:

Matthames

Über Member
There is another little trick you can try, get a bowl and put some salt into it. The salt will act as a desiccant reducing the amount of condensation in your tent.

Fiona N

Veteran
Tent condensation is a perennial problem.
I have a couple of very lightweight, double skinned tents, one of which has much more of a problem. The difference is that the one which mainly doesn't have a condensation problem has an inner which has large areas of mesh instead of nylon fabric. Pitched well, there is usually no condensation build-up on the inner at all, but the trade-off is that it's a much less warm tent for cold weather and veritably draughty in many settings. I find this OK most of the time but I know others who are horrified by it.

I have the same problem in our new Vango Spirit 200+ as well.
Whilst it is a pain - we have dealt with the problem with a tiny microfiber towel from AventureLiving or something similar and when I take the tent down, if it is really bad, then I dry the inside of the outersheet using this towel. I will have to wring it out 2 or 3 times sometimes, but it saves the carrying the wet tent issue and works really well.
It could also be used to dry the outer of the tent down if really wanted...

Top Bottom