Cone advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
I have a specialized hubbed MTB front wheel with two hubs that are pitted and need replacing. I've been to a few local bike shops in Mcr and none seem to be able to help with spares.
Does anyone have either some advice ref spares or alternatively a borked hub they'd sell the cones from.
I cant say the age of the wheel/hub but I can give dimensions of the cone if required.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1735[1].JPG
    IMG_1735[1].JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 20

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you tried places like Halfrauds? Also go and ask Guy the mechanic upstairs at Harry Hall, I bet he's got some knocking around in his box of bits.

Alternatively look on EBay or phone this bike recycing workshop in Wigan and ask for Simon. He will definitely have what you need: http://www.thebrick.org.uk/works/gearingup/

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Cheers @Globalti , I emailed Harrys, popup and keep pedalling....all were a no. I'll try the Brick.
I'm heading to the jumble this sat at popup to see what's about.
In the short term I've got a diamond file to try to smooth the pitting out so its not a bag of grinding crap.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's no use emailing, the kids on the counter probably don't even know what you mean and bike shops don't carry those kinds of spares any longer. You'll need to get right to the shop mechanic because every mechanic has a box of bits and pieces.

Your photo isn't great but the pitting doesn't look too bad. Don't try filing the cones, they are hardened steel. Just put in new bearings and you'll find they run OK if a little rumbly.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
I've tried servicing them but they're quite rumbly....both cones are pitted, I'm going to try wet n drying them first to smooth it out if possible.
It's no use emailing, the kids on the counter probably don't even know what you mean and bike shops don't carry those kinds of spares any longer. You'll need to get right to the shop mechanic because every mechanic has a box of bits and pieces.

Your photo isn't great but the pitting doesn't look too bad. Don't try filing the cones, they are hardened steel. Just put in new bearings and you'll find they run OK if a little rumbly.
I might nip down, I've got the cones with me.....

Top Bottom