Cone wrenches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
[QUOTE 4990498, member: 9609"]I took a works spanner and ground it down (with out bluing it) until it was just thin enough to fit mine. I doubt it will ever wear, bend or become mishapened.[/QUOTE]
Snap

Drago

Legendary Member
I bought a set labelled "Genier" which weren't too pricy and have been very decent.

I'm not a fan of Park gear. For what they charge they should be the best tools in the history of the World, and they're pretty mediocre at best.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most of the time I use some Silverline 13-16mm cone spanners because they are so thin that I've only a couple of cones they can't do and they're about £2 each when I do have to finally throw them in the recycling.

One of the others is an unusual size and I think it's a Pedal Pro spanner I use but it might be a Jobsworth (Planet X's shop brand I think?). And finally, there's one front wheel with awkward recessed 13mm cones where I use a filed-thin stamped-metal spanner (the sort of multi-hole spanner you used to get in bike toolkits - the thin end is 13mm).

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I bought a set labelled "Genier" which weren't too pricy and have been very decent.

I'm not a fan of Park gear. For what they charge they should be the best tools in the history of the World, and they're pretty mediocre at best.

Any tools of theirs in particular you've had problem with? I own a few, many of which I've had for years, and have no issues at all.

Tangoup51

[QUOTE 4990680, member: 45"]I've not had a problem with any Park tools. Apart from the plastic dip starting to split on the handle of a pedal spanner, after about 12 years. Everything else is toasty. I particularly like their basic chain splitter, and their cheap blue plastic tyre levers are the best I've used.[/QUOTE]

The only problem i've had with park tools is the price. You can find two tire levers for £15.00 from park tool.... Just saying.

Tangoup51

Think the cheaper one has only 5 pcs and the other has 2x that.

Though maybe its per spanner? it does say "set" but..

Tangoup51

Drago

Legendary Member
Any tools of theirs in particular you've had problem with? I own a few, many of which I've had for years, and have no issues at all.

I've the AK2 set. Nothing actually wrong with them, they're just undeserving of the price. Like Mr Paul, I also have an Aldi set and tool for tool there isn't much in it standard of finish or performance.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's not worth buying cheap cone spanners. I seem to have a complete set of Park ones—enough to have a pair of any given size. Good investment.

Tangoup51

[QUOTE 4990781, member: 45"]Those tyre levers are much better than any cheap (or more expensive) ones I've ever used.

Your point is the reason I started this thread. I know I can go to Park Tools and whatever I buy is consistently very good. Other brands are unpredictable. I've had good experiences with Ice Toolz, having got a couple of quality things that compared with the Park alternative, but I've also bought rubbish from them. I don't know of another consistently good brand, and as I don't have experience of buying cone wrenches on their own I'm asking for recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Some brands out there are consistently better at swapping over price for quality. - Others not so much. I hope you get some good answers.

gbb

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4990498, member: 9609"]I took a works spanner and ground it down (with out bluing it) until it was just thin enough to fit mine. I doubt it will ever wear, bend or become mishapened.[/QUOTE]
Ditto. Very apt if you have a multitude of duplicate spanners.

Top Bottom