Cone wrenches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
I’m a big Park tools fan, but I have a Pedros cone wrench (I think I needed one at short notice and that was the only brand available] and it’s been very good. Having said that, it’s about the same price as Park.

simon.r

Person
That Leisure Lakes link upthread shows a set of 14 cone wrenches for £63, which is a very good deal compared to £9 each. But, I suspect most home mechanics would only ever use 3 or 4 of the set.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4990825, member: 45"]The think I find handy with them is that they have a lip at the lever end, so when you push them into the rim and under the bead, the lip catches with the edge of the rim to stop it sliding back out. And they take a lot of pressure.[/QUOTE]
The lip thing is what makes them look like the Bontragers. http://www.treadster.us/2013/02/tire-tube-leak.html shows them side by side and the Bontragers have even deeper lips:
DSC_0018.jpg

Edit: and just to fuel the Park-is-overpriced legend, the Bontragers are £4 a pair at Evans.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4990991, member: 45"]The Parks are £3.50 for 3, including a pack of glueless patches.[/QUOTE]
In any real shops or only online where the Bontragers can be found cheaper too?

Well cone spanners or Tyre levers I've had no trouble with the contintal type ( tyre Lever) Well admittedly that only getting 23-700 road tyres off and as to cone spanners Ok I know that Park tools are expensive and I've bought some park tools stuff and find all the tools that got that branding on them to be good But as to how they might stand up to everyday use in a bike repair shop I wouldn't know admittadly park stuff is a bit pricey but But perhaps thats what we have to pay these days

si_c

Guru
The lip thing is what makes them look like the Bontragers. http://www.treadster.us/2013/02/tire-tube-leak.html shows them side by side and the Bontragers have even deeper lips:
View attachment 377884
Edit: and just to fuel the Park-is-overpriced legend, the Bontragers are £4 a pair at Evans.
Both are great, and I have both. I find the Bontrager levers harder to use on road tires due to the shape and size of the lip, the park ones have it there for me. They both work well, it's just personal preference.

I use the Bontrager ones with my mountain bike. Which is a Trek, so that's nice.

Top Bottom