Cone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raggydoll

Über Member
I believe it's just called a nut (not a cone).

They always have ridges which helps it bind and stay tight.

I'd guess that the grinding noise you are hearing is simply the ridges bedding in as you tighten it.

Nothing to worry about.

1624532164630.png

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think the OP may be confusing the cone on the other end of the QR skewer with the cones or cone on the axle.

rrarider

Veteran
Cone spanners are made from pressed steel and are very thin, to allow them to engage with the cone and pass under the locknut. My spanners are marked 13, 14 at one end and 15, 16 at the other. I expect most spanners are like this. The cone spanner does not have to be strong, as the locknut is the one that is tightened the most.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
I believe it's just called a nut (not a cone).

They always have ridges which helps it bind and stay tight.

I'd guess that the grinding noise you are hearing is simply the ridges bedding in as you tighten it.

Nothing to worry about.

View attachment 595508
Thanks

I usually tighten it by hand - should I be using a tool of some kind? That's the crux of the matter!

vickster

Legendary Member
Absolutely. If I had to get spare springs, where would I get them?
Bike shop...or a new skewer

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks

I usually tighten it by hand - should I be using a tool of some kind? That's the crux of the matter!
No. You need to be able to close the QR skewer (oh and get it open again) so unless you're Superman or the Incredible Hulk, just do by hand!

Reactions: C R
Notes on cup and cone bearings.
Cones can get pitted and spin rough. Look for a smooth worn track but not too deeply worn.
Ball bearings can get squished out of round. On cheap hubs I reuse balls bit on precision hubs, fit new ones of grade 25.
QR skewers compress the opposing cones so leave a tiny amount of play and check for no play when fitted to the frame. QR is fitted and adjusted by hand, no tools and should leave a red mark in your palm as it closes completely. A tight skewer that is not completely closed is not right.
Nut fittings stretch the axle so set cones correctly before fitting wheel to frame.

My bodge for fine tuning is to hold one cone and adjust the opposite locknut.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Also you shouldn't be grinding the ridges of the QR nut against the frame drop out when tightening the nut. You tighten the nut with the QR skewer in the open position, test by closing it, if its not tighten enough, open it again and adjust the nut, then close it again. trial and error until it makes decent print in your palm/ thumb pad as you close the skewer. The ridgy bit on the nut should be steel, so it bites into the softer aluminium drop out (frame end). cheap skewers are sometimes alu in this bit, which is rubbish and can lead to issue with them slipping (More an issue on disc brakes where more forces are put on the axle).

Don't go damaging that beautiful Bianchi, they are lovely bikes.:okay:

Top Bottom