Confidence that new posters are interested in their thread - an idea.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I like puppies.
Kittens are better.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I've made it that far today Rocky. It's Tuesday and I've arranged for a bike ride with Mrs 26 tomorrow, Wednesday. However, what come after that is a deep mystery. :ohmy:
One day at a time, 26, one day at a time :laugh:

Good morning
I was suggesting that it appeared a little complex.
You may very well be right.

It is version 3 of an idea that has been floating around in my head for quite a while now so it is simple to me.:smile:

But I am not sure if this complexity is because it is a new idea that doesn't seem to offer any benefits or it is a new idea that doesn't offer any benefits and I wasted my time.

This has prompted me to check what was my first post.
Something about preferred fonts in documents! What a total weirdo :rolleyes:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a-theory-that-ive-just-made-up.511/#post-9932
Interesting in that the thread starter was also a first poster, but he wasn't asking a question but posting something quite fun.

I've read through and just don't get it. So too complex for my tiny brain.
To get your first code you need to create an account, that account is anonymous beyond an email address that is not disclosed to anyone, over time you could ask for codes as you use forums or review sites and in a few years time you have an "anonymous identity" (!) that you can attach to anonymous posts anywhere on the internet.

This "anonymous identity" could give credibility to your posts and reviews where you are not already known.

So if your first post on a forum new to you is not getting any/many answers this "anonymous identity" may give confidence to other members that you are serious. Or you are an organised person and wish to preempt not getting any answers.

Language police - Is it possible to pre-empt something not happening, or can you only pre-empt something happening?

Alternatively you may wish to give weight to review on say a site like Amazon where many reviews are treated by many people with some suspicion.

A key point is that there is manual checking, when a code is issued its use is checked by a real person, if a report of misuse is made, it is checked by a real person.

I did consider all the accounts being completely anonymous from creation, but the problem with that is when the account holder forgets their password there is no way to request a reset. I have always intended to allow for the email to be removed once the account is created but haven't mentioned this as it might complicate things. :smile:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Ian

Just want to be direct rather than pussyfoot around. It is not a good idea.

Most forums will authenticate new users by validating their email. People on forums have better things to do than track codes per user. There is a report button at the bottom left and there are mods for a reason.

Good morning,
Ian

Just want to be direct rather than pussyfoot around. It is not a good idea.

Most forums will authenticate new users by validating their email. People on forums have better things to do than track codes per user. There is a report button at the bottom left and there are mods for a reason.
Thanks for the clarity.:smile:

I certainly take the point about ...have better things.. my thinking was that for some people they may take the view that a reply takes say 10 minutes to create so an extra 30 seconds would be acceptable.

Thinking even further into the future this could be automated for certain sites that wanted to do such a thing. XenForo for example allows for add-ons but the idea is at too early a stage for such a step but it is an option for the future.

I think that I am not explaining the idea clearly enough. The idea is to make the first post attractive to people to respond to where they might otherwise ignore it for reasons of tone, brevity, style or similar characteristics. It is not intended to address posts that break the moderation policy of a site, that is none of my business.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom