Confused over replacement chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I thought I'd treat my 8-speed tourer to a new chain (and possibly a new cassette), my current one having done about 5,000 miles, so I can't complain.

You don't seem to be able to get my current chain, a Shimano HG50, these days, though you can get an HG40 - what's the difference?

Or if I go KMC, it seems to be a choice between £15+ for a whizzy plated one or a lower-end Z8 (but I'd rather have a 7.3 mm chain, if only because I already have some KMC quicklinks of that size).

Is there any reason why a KMC Z7 wouldn't be compatible? For reasons I don't understand, it seems to be the only chain they market as 6/7-speed, rather than 6/7/8-speed, but I can't work out why.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If they market it as only 6/7 speed it will be too wide for the cassette. Shimano HG50 is just a posher HG40.

Personally I'd go for the compatible KMC, I've always found they last longer than Shimao or Campag.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

If they market it as only 6/7 speed it will be too wide for the cassette.

That was my first thought too. But then in the KMC catalogue they list the Z7 as being compatible with a 7.3 mm MissingLink - which is the same one that fits Shimano 8-speed chains.

Shimano HG50 is just a posher HG40.

That's good to know

Thanks, that's not a bad price, even allowing for having to buy a couple of new narrower MissingLinks as well.

adamhearn

Veteran
I run a KMC Z7 on an 8 speed Shimano setup and it works without issue. I picked up a Z8S as a spare as it was as cheap as the Z7.

Don't wish to be a killjoy but at that sort of mileage you probably need a new cassette as well due to 'shark toothing' on the sprockets... Trust me i speak from experience... My bike skipped more than a girl with a rope....

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

I run a KMC Z7 on an 8 speed Shimano setup and it works without issue. I picked up a Z8S as a spare as it was as cheap as the Z7.

Thanks, that's useful to know.

Don't wish to be a killjoy but at that sort of mileage you probably need a new cassette as well due to 'shark toothing' on the sprockets... Trust me i speak from experience... My bike skipped more than a girl with a rope....

Yes, I'm prepared for that, although the current one doesn't look too bad. I'll soon find out after I've changed the chain.

As it happens, I have an unused 11-34t cassette that I bought a few years ago when I was struggling on some of the hills around here, to replace the 11-32t that the bike came with (Shimano, according to the spec, but it arrived with a SRAM instead, maybe they wear better :smile:).

Though I was planning to wait till I'm a bit more decrepit before needing to fit it ...

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Thanks, BH, I'll check that one out.

Jody

Stubborn git
Just received a KMC x10.93 which admittedly is for a 10 speed but bought new off eBay for 13 quid instead of 25+ the retailers are charging. For the sake of 15 quid stick a decent chain on if you are doing the mileage.

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Just received a KMC x10.93 which admittedly is for a 10 speed but bought new off eBay for 13 quid instead of 25+ the retailers are charging. For the sake of 15 quid stick a decent chain on if you are doing the mileage.

Hmm, a nickel-plated chain sounds a bit racy ... :smile:

On the other hand, I see Tweeks have the equivalent X8-93 at a tenner, post-free, which is tempting!

Top Bottom