Confused.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Right when I were a lad.If you were over six foot like I was,you bought a 25" frame. Then we went all fancy,and it was a 64cm job.Then things changed again,we got sloping top tubes.Now just this week I have been looking at cycles for a more slower but longer type of riding ie Audax and it seems 58cm is now big enough for a bloke 6' 4" tall. Can anyone explain.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Surely at your age you've shrunk quite a bit by now so maybe a 56cm will do :whistle:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If I remember correctly you have a compact geometry 61cm Specialized Secteur Elite. Why are you looking at new bikes? surely that is the perfect do it all bike, great for Audaxes etc.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
If I remember correctly you have a compact geometry 61cm Specialized Secteur Elite. Why are you looking at new bikes? surely that is the perfect do it all bike, great for Audaxes etc.
It's a triple 105.And it is a great bike but i was looking at bikes today compared to over ten years ago.

Right when I were a lad.If you were over six foot like I was,you bought a 25" frame. Then we went all fancy,and it was a 64cm job.Then things changed again,we got sloping top tubes.Now just this week I have been looking at cycles for a more slower but longer type of riding ie Audax and it seems 58cm is now big enough for a bloke 6' 4" tall. Can anyone explain.
Probably right! 60cm was spot for me on older horizontal top tube frames now 58cm comfier for some reason? 6ft 3ins and shrinking.

6"3" - 6"4 tall with a inside leg of 34" + would be best suited to a 60cm.
6"0 - 6"1 with a 33" inside leg would be a 58cm.

Iam 6"1 and a 33" inside leg I have had a 60cm frame which I found to big, a 58cm is better suited a 56cm is out of the question,

Frames are best sat on and ridden before buying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

These days I take more notice of top tube length than seat tube length.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you are comparing like with like then you would take the 'virtual top tube' length.

Here is a picture of my singlespeed bike. It has a '58 cm' frame as measured horizontally, centre-to-centre, but the actual top tube length is only 54.4 cm. It suits me, height 6' 1".

If the 58 cm were the actual top tube length then the virtual top tube would be 61.8 cm in length, which would suit a 6'3" - 6'4" person much better!

Top Bottom