Conkers as a spider deterrent...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Heard a few people talking about this during last week's dog walk round the park, it's a thing...
Does it work as I now have a pocketful of the buggers and as far as I know there are no spiders in there making a home ^_^

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
My mum used to have conkers strategically placed around the house to deter spiders. I have no idea whether it worked or not.

I tend to pick them up simply because they look so lovely and shiny. That's the conkers not the spiders 😁

I used to do this, it didn't work so I adopted my 8 legged friends as fly catchers.

I have planted 4 horse chestnut 🌰 though this year, nothing is likely to happen till spring but fingers crossed something will 🌱

Chief Broom

Veteran
Nope a fanciful myth, the end of randy,rampant,ramblings of spiders coincides with the conker season which some people mistook for a deterrent. I dont reckon theres anything that would deter a critter with one objective in mind

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I always pick up chessies and make a little autumnal display with them. So far I have seen 0 spiders be deterred by them.

I tend to pick them up simply because they look so lovely and shiny. That's the conkers not the spiders 😁

Save a terrified Spider today, pick up
your conkers! 😆

She'd woken up with cobwebs on her face!

You aren't THAT old, are you? 😆

Sorry.

When I lived in France, our library was panelled in chestnut wood, but the sweet edible species, not horse, supposedly because it repels insects, it is also used as bands round wine barrels and in the vineyard as stakes. It was certainly never bothered with woodworm, while adjacent oak and beech were. If it was repelling insects spiders wouldn't be bothered to come in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom