Considering a Folding E-Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
All ebikes, folding or otherwise, are relatively heavy, unwieldy lumps.

Taking one on and off a train twice a day is not a good prospect.

An eBrompton would be one of the better bets, even the otherwise excellent Gocycle doesn't have a very easy or compact fold.

I got mine for 350 versus 850 new. My daughter loves it

Attachments

• 7FC63883-A609-462B-9284-173352F5CCA6.png
    7FC63883-A609-462B-9284-173352F5CCA6.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 18

Cycleops

Legendary Member
An eBrompton would be one of the better bets, even the otherwise excellent Gocycle doesn't have a very easy or compact fold.
The latest version GoCycle has a claimed fold time of 10 seconds, okay realistically about half a minute.

There’s not too much in it considering the GoCycle has 20” wheels. Plus you’re going to have to use both hands on the Brompton due to the separate battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1lor

Regular
I need something practical and MUST have pannier racks on, I intend to go food shopping like i used to do, the go cycle looks like an expensive option that does not have this rack on, so it's not something i would consider.

I have given a guide price of £1k or £2k so i can get an idea of what i can get for that price, it's not necessarily what i would even spend, I don't know that yet.

What other things must I look out for with folding e-bikes?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Folding bikes as you might have noticed have much smaller wheels than conventional bikes so panniers not work on some folders. Most will take proprietary luggage which sits in front of the bars and/or on the rear rack. You need to research if the luggage has the capacity you need. In fact the gocycle does have a rack which takes panniers.

plus a quite large capacity front pack.

The Brompton won’t take any thing at the front as the battery takes up that space so you’re limited to the rear rack.
You also need to look at the range the battery will give you.

Folding bikes as you might have noticed have much smaller wheels than conventional bikes so panniers not work on some folders. Most will take proprietary luggage which sits in front of the bars and/or on the rear rack. You need to research if the luggage has the capacity you need. In fact the gocycle does have a rack which takes panniers.
View attachment 572300

View attachment 572301

The Brompton won’t take any thing at the front as the battery takes up that space so you’re limited to the rear rack.
That's not true. You can get a specific 20l bag for £150.

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
I would also want one with mud guards, thats one think i had to fit to my bike as it had none, i could only find an ill fitting one but it's done the job and served the purpose. do these ebikes come with them already on? for what price range do they come with disc brake?

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
What kind of body weight do folding bikes generally take. mine normal bike is a GT and has thick tubing so could take someone with more body weight?

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
View attachment 572300

View attachment 572301

Your gocycle bike looks like something that would attract thieves, it's too flashy for me, that's something I would want to avoid. Again that bike is not for me, and likely not in my price range.

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
Bromptons have guards. But leave any of these bikes out and they will get nicked. Keep them with you.
I'm not really bothered what brand it is, Brompton sounds expensive what other brands are worth looking at. I may get more for my money, got to be something else out there.

matiz

Guru
How about a Carrera crosscity £999 from Halfords mudguards , pannier rack 20" wheels 30 mile range , two year guarantee on electrical parts and will carry 120 kg .

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A few years ago, I got a £500 folding ebike from eBay.
My advice would be - don't buy a £500 folding ebike from eBay.
Can you get to a Decathlon? No amount of well-meaning advice from us will replace seeing a bike, trying to pick it up and feeling how stable it is when folded. The Tilt 500 folder costs £350, the electric version is £900, and that's a lot of cash to spend unless you're sure it'll do what you want it to. Are you going to have to carry it at railway stations, for instance? I once had to carry a Brompton the length of a TGV (thanks, SNCF jobsworth!) and that was bad enough.

gzoom

Über Member
Your gocycle bike looks like something that would attract thieves, it's too flashy for me, that's something I would want to avoid. Again that bike is not for me, and likely not in my price range.

Am not sure there is any bike that fits your expectations and budget. A £1k folding eBike will be rubbish. It'll weigh nearly 20kg which is ALOT to carry, awful to ride, and still get nicked.

I cannot think of a single eBike that fits your list of needs.

Top Bottom