Considering a Folding E-Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Does it have to be an e-bike? It's not clear on your original post how far you'd be cycling in each stage? An ordinary folder would be lighter (no battery) & likely have more luggage capacity (no battery). Maybe an ordinary folder would be suitable and opens up your options a lot.

I love my Brompton, but if you don't like them, don't get one. Though if you do get one they hold their resale value very well. You'd get most of your money back.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I cannot think of a single eBike that fits your list of needs.

That's because the OP's expectations are unrealistic.

Which is not to criticise, most non-ebikers think ebikes will do things they just won't.

The GoCycle is an excellent, modern ebike, but it is still heavy and unwieldy when folded, with bits sticking out of it.

Lugging any ebike on and off a train twice a day is a non-starter, particularly at commuter time when services are likely to be busy.

I had a cheaper folding ebike which was roughly at the OP's budget.

It was just about doable to occasionally lug it in and out of my hatchback, although I managed to scratch the bumper in the end, despite being careful.

The best option here is the eBrompton - battery and bag over your shoulder, and lug the (still heavier due to the motor) folded bike onto the train.

If the round trip mileage is short, a Brompton Nano conversion would be even better because there is an option to use the small Bosch lawnmower battery.

Less weight, and more room in the Brommie bag for luggage.

https://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The OP needs to have a good think about how she is going to be using the bike and whether it is going to be a practical for her purposes given it’s weight.
i think an unpowered model might be the best solution in the end.
There are various options now to hire a Brompton including from a dock:
https://bromptonsubscription.com/
Trying it would at least tell you if one is right for your needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1lor

Regular
What kind of gears do you get on them i think mine is 21 shimano gears i don't like hub gears?

Extra gears will add extra complexity and weight.

Bromptons are hub gears. Less to go wrong with them - you can't knock the derailleur on a bike that hasn't got one. And surely having power means you don't need the gear range that you'd want without electric.

Drzdave58

Über Member
Bike Friday have an e version too...if you want electric it’s best to pay a little more for something that will last.

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
I have stated two reasons why I want a folding e-bike...

1 to cut out two bus links either end of a train ride.
2 to take shopping home instead of getting on a taxi to a supermarket i cannot even get to direct on the bus.

I stated that I am not sure about budget but wanted to get an idea what I would get for £1K -£2k, and is not necessarily what I would pay for one; but didn't know how much i would spend.

Distance isn't going to be anymore than 30 miles, I've never done that on my normal bike which I understand a lot of e-bikes will go to.

I don't want something that would attract thieves the gocycle has no built in pannier rack, nor mud guards which is a big no-no, any of the alternative floating type pannier rack i would imagine would have weight limits and is not what I am looking for.

I am not interested in reselling a bike if it suits my purpose and suits my bodyweight/shape, activities I intend to use it for then I keep it for life. I'm one of these types that buys something once as long as it fits the bill

I hope that clears up your questions here, and be able offer options for me to consider.

When you say attract thieves - any decent bike is a target. Some of my bikes are over 2 grand but I never leave them unattended anyway.

OP
OP

1lor

Regular
This is my bike I had to put on mud guards and a rear pannier rack; I made other modifications to it, i love it and I would never sell it.

I got the 20 inch mens bike though i could go the next size up as i'm a funny shape person; as i have long legs but a shorter back and neck the handle stem system (i'm not sure of the correct term) you see with an tilt adjuster so I can sit either more upright or in racing position, again this bike is comfortable, whereas others i tried the shop were very uncomfortable, this is a consideration for me for any bike purchase.

GT Traffic 4.0.jpg

Drzdave58

Über Member
I have stated two reasons why I want a folding e-bike...

1 to cut out two bus links either end of a train ride.
2 to take shopping home instead of getting on a taxi to a supermarket i cannot even get to direct on the bus.

I stated that I am not sure about budget but wanted to get an idea what I would get for £1K -£2k, and is not necessarily what I would pay for one; but didn't know how much i would spend.

Distance isn't going to be anymore than 30 miles, I've never done that on my normal bike which I understand a lot of e-bikes will go to.

I don't want something that would attract thieves the gocycle has no built in pannier rack, nor mud guards which is a big no-no, any of the alternative floating type pannier rack i would imagine would have weight limits and is not what I am looking for.

I am not interested in reselling a bike if it suits my purpose and suits my bodyweight/shape, activities I intend to use it for then I keep it for life. I'm one of these types that buys something once as long as it fits the bill

I hope that clears up your questions here, and be able offer options for me to consider.
All things considered I think the e brompton is your best choice.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Folding ebikes are configured differently to conventional full size bikes so you're not comparing like with like.
Panniers won't work with 16" wheels as the panniers will be almost dragging on the ground which is why the major brands like Brompton have their own dedicated luggage. If you must have panniers you will need to find a 20" bike.
Any bike will attract thieves, that's an absolute, there's no way around that apart from a good lock.
All things considered the e Brompton would seem seem to provide the best solution.
A good 20" bike is the Vectron but again the money goes up:
https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/r...ext=But while the eLink was,up as an e-folder.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1lor

Regular
Folding ebikes are configured differently to conventional full size bikes so you're not comparing like with like.
Panniers won't work with 16" wheels as the panniers will be almost dragging on the ground which is why the major brands like Brompton have their own dedicated luggage. If you must have panniers you will need to find a 20" bike.
Any bike will attract thieves, that's an absolute, there's no way around that apart from a good lock.
All things considered the e Brompton would seem seem to provide the best solution.
A good 20" bike is the Vectron but again the money goes up:
https://ebiketips.road.cc/content/reviews/electric-folding-bikes/updated-tern-vektron-426#:~:text=Tern are touting the Vektron,importantly, it rides really well.&text=But while the eLink was,up as an e-folder.
There are others out there that look more up to date than Brompton and its price tag.

There's loads of brands on the Internet with pannier racks. I'm asking for alternatives to the big names to get more bang for my buck.

Drzdave58

Über Member
There are others out there that look more up to date than Brompton and its price tag.

There's loads of brands on the Internet with pannier racks. I'm asking for alternatives to the big names to get more bang for my buck.
I really don’t think you will find a suitable alternative to a Brompton. Good luck in your search tho.

Top Bottom