Considering a Spacialixed Vita.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fit447

Regular
I've been cycling over the last year on a cheap MTB that I bought as a sturdy commuter, and am managing 20 miles comfortably, on the flat. I recently went on an organised ride, and everyone else had a road bike, and there were HILLS. Needles to say, I struggled to keep up, but thoroughly enjoyed the challenge. I am now considering a new bike, and am unsure of what to buy. Most of my cycling is along cycle tracks, but I want to occasionally hit the roads.

Will a hybrid do better on the hills than my Raleigh Mountain bike? I have seen a Specialized Vita 2014 that Fits my budget, Would it give me enough speed to stand a chance when riding with road bikes. Road bikes are not an option because of health issues. Hope someone can guide me. I also saw the Vita sport for £100 More than I want to spend. Is there much difference in the two bikes?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I might be wrong, but I think @Mo1959 had/has a Vita.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not a straight forward question to answer for several reasons.
I assume your mountain bike is a bog standard type? In which case it will be hard work on the road as it will a) have a heavy frame b) have mountain bike 'geometry' c) mountain bike gearing and small-26" wheels with 2.2" tyres which have lots of drag.
It is designed to give lots of grip in wet/muddy conditions and be very manouverable
The Specialized Vita is built for roads and has full size wheels/tyres 28mm wide......it will roll so much better.
The gearing is designed for roads.
Whether It will do cycle paths OK depends on what you mean by cycle paths. For straight forward tow paths/canal paths it should be fine........but if you mean forrest trails etc. then you will struggle.
A suggestion...........ask the dealer if it will accept 32/35mm tyres. If it will then you can buy a pair and easily swap them as required.
Hope that helps.

OP
OP
F

fit447

Regular
Thanks, Dave 7, you have helped a lot. You have reassured me about the Vita, and If I do want to go on rougher terrain, I will be keeping my MTB. Do you have experience of the Vita, or are your comments based on the spec?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My wife has a Vita, its a very nice bike. She rides on roads an cycle trails. Don't know anything about mountain bikes, so I cant help with choosing the right type of bike, but if you decide on a bike like the Vita, then be assured the Vita is a good un.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I currently am using a rigid MTB for commuting, on the flat the weight does not make much difference once it up to speed but the hills kil it compared to a road bike .
Flat barred road bikes can be as fast as "racers " but you have less hand position options and might not be able to get as low if you want to get in a more aero position.
The vita come sin around 11 kg as far as i can work out

Dan B

Disengaged member
My wife also has the Vita Sport, though probably does more miles on the Christiana at the moment. She says it's her favourite bike. I've borrowed it a few times to get to work when I had my bike written off, I think it would cope perfectly fine with cycle tracks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming it's this one, it has a triple chainset, should do fine on hills. Being lighter should also help of course, plus the bigger wheels than an MTB and no bouncy suspension! 32mmtyrss will give you plenty of comfort of rougher surfaces, just won't deal so well with proper mud

http://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/vita/28634/14vita

The sport also has a triple, but 9 speed rather than 8 so you get three more gears

Go test ride the options, see which is best for you

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I might be wrong, but I think @Mo1959 had/has a Vita.
Yep......still have it and enjoy riding it. Each model/year seems to have different specs. Mine has a triple so has a nice wide range of gearing for on or off road. Currently fitted with 700 x 23 Vredestein Fortezza for road use, but I could go back to wider tyres if I wanted to venture on some light trails and I'm sure it would be perfectly fine.

OP
OP
F

fit447

Regular
Thanks everyone, for some good info.
Cyberknight, you have summed up my rigid MTB experience.
I currently am using a rigid MTB for commuting, on the flat the weight does not make much difference once it up to speed but the hills kil it compared to a road bike .
Flat barred road bikes can be as fast as "racers " but you have less hand position options and might not be able to get as low if you want to get in a more aero position.
The vita come sin around 11 kg as far as i can work out
Im off to go and weigh my MTB for a comparison.

Top Bottom