Considering expensive racy wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Because I think that there is an acceptance that light, aero wheels can certainly be beneficial - but it doesn't really matter which logo is on the side. The guys on the Zipps might have spent more, but they ain't going any faster for it, as far as I can tell. :smile:
How can you possibly know, unless you see the same rider on both sets of wheels?

Citius

I'm talking about bunch racing, not TTs. Although the same probably applies there too.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I went for a pair of these for the same reason.
bs6540.jpg

They're on my 653 Campagnolo equipped bike
Roval Classique Pave

NorvernRob

Aero wheels are horrible in the wind, I've had a couple of sets and sold them on. Maybe I ride more in wind than most out in the Peaks, but the difference compared to shallower section wheels is massive.

I've settled on Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite, look just as good and far more stable in windy conditions,

outlash

also available in orange
Does it really matter what wheels the OP buys? They're not going to make a scrap of difference to their riding down to the pub so they might as well buy the ones they like the look of. Cheap, light, strong. Pick two.

Tony.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Those hubs look very nice.
Thanks, that's what I'd been drooling over for quite a while.
Then a tax rebate occurred and when I went into the shop they were reduced in the sale as well. Shame the Campagnolo bits weren't too (Centaur crank, front and rear mechs with 10 speed Record cassette and Bar end shifters)
The frame had a Campagnolo headset and seatpost when I bought it

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Aero wheels do take a bit of getting used to. They are a bit of a handfull on windy days, But after riding with them for a month or so you get used to them. They just become another wheel. But they do look the dogs ********:okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How can you possibly know, unless you see the same rider on both sets of wheels?
Because @Citius has been in a wind tunnel testing all the wheels available, to ensure his quote is accurate........because hes raced bikes see and no one knows better than him ;)

Citius

Because @Citius has been in a wind tunnel testing all the wheels available, to ensure his quote is accurate........because hes raced bikes see and no one knows better than him ;)

God bless you Jowwy. Where would we be without your childish ad hominems.

Anyway, the key phrase in my post was 'as far as I can tell'. It's just an opinion girls - settle down.

Last edited:

NorvernRob

Aero wheels do take a bit of getting used to. They are a bit of a handfull on windy days, But after riding with them for a month or so you get used to them. They just become another wheel. But they do look the dogs ********:okay:

I had them for a few months - after nearly getting taken off the road by gusts of wind on Holme Moss, and a pant-wetting swerve at 35mph heading out of the Peaks I got rid.

It probably didn't help that me, the bike and everything in my pockets for a ride weighs under 75kg, another 20+kg and i'd probably be less susceptible to side winds.

Top Bottom