Considering going from 700x23cc to 700x25cc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

broadway

Veteran
Grip is more about the compound of the rubber , softer the rubber the more grip , summer/race tyres are softer and have more grip than winter type tyres .

I thought winter tyres were softer to allow for the lower temperatures they run in. Needing less grip in the winter seem counter intuitive?

I thought winter tyres were softer to allow for the lower temperatures they run in. Needing less grip in the winter seem counter intuitive?

Outside of snow/ice tyres, there aren't really any 'winter' tyres, as such. Race tyres tend to have a softer compound, while less focused tyres tend to use harder, longer lasting compounds. There's nothing to stop you using race tyres all year round, lots of people do. But the trade off to higher grip is usually faster wear.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thats more or less what I am trying to say, but if the pressure is too low, you will lose the advantage of it being a wider tyre and alter its "footprint" on the ground by making it increase longitudialy increasing rolling resistance. So it is a fine balancing act to get right and keep the advantage of the wider tyre over a thinner tyre, otherwise you will lose it.. The aim if I recall from what I was taught is to aim to get 15% deflection in the tyre wall when it flexes to get the best optimum rolling resistance from a tyre.

Hang on, I'll just get my tyre deflection meter.

U

User6179

Yes it is ironic that the type of tyre needed for winter riding in the UK offers less grip than one which you use in the summer but if you try to ride ultremo or gp4000 type tyre in the winter they end up cutting up quite quickly and they will puncture a lot so better on a tougher rubber which offers less grip but is more durable.

U

User6179

Outside of snow/ice tyres, there aren't really any 'winter' tyres, as such. Race tyres tend to have a softer compound, while less focused tyres tend to use harder, longer lasting compounds. There's nothing to stop you using race tyres all year round, lots of people do. But the trade off to higher grip is usually faster wear.

Cmon Dusty , nearly every single cyclist I know runs a different tyre in winter to summer , not technically called winter tyres but they are winter tyres because that's when people use them , they are usually on " WINTER " bikes , again technically there is no such thing if you want to be silly about it.:smile:

U

User6179

When you say confused
I'm confused - are you agreeing or disagreeing?
Yes:smile:

VamP

Banned
Cmon Dusty , nearly every single cyclist I know runs a different tyre in winter to summer , not technically called winter tyres but they are winter tyres because that's when people use them , they are usually on " WINTER " bikes , again technically there is no such thing if you want to be silly about it.:smile:

I don't. Race tyres all year round. Not getting any more punctures either.

Top Bottom