Considering going from 700x23cc to 700x25cc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am considering going from 700x23cc to 700x25cc on my triban 3 and was wondering if the extra 2cc is worth it in terms of extra grip and how noticeable it is when cornering?

At the moment I struggle to corner well because I am scared of sliding and think the extra 2 will give me more grip and confidence to hold the line instead of braking or drifting wide.

Is there a noticeable decline in ability to get up to speed and maintain it due to more of the tyre been on the road?

Chris

25c, not cc. 2mm will not give you any significant or noticable difference in grip or cornering, as this has more to do with individual tyre pressure and the prevailing road conditions. You will be able to run slightly lower pressure for more comfort though..

400bhp

Guru
As Mr Bin says.

The extra grip from cornering will iprobably mean you go round the corner slower anyway (too much grip-increase in coeficient of friction).

25c, not cc. 2mm will not give you any significant or noticable difference in grip or cornering, as this has more to do with individual tyre pressure and the prevailing road conditions. You will be able to run slightly lower pressure for more comfort though..
As Mr Bin says.

The extra grip from cornering will iprobably mean you go round the corner slower anyway (too much grip-increase in coeficient of friction).

Enlighten the uneducated please.. I have read many threads here on this subject and still confused.
Is there any advantage at all of changing from 23c to 25c

400bhp

Guru
Enlighten the uneducated please.. I have read many threads here on this subject and still confused.

Honestly, I don't really know (I was answering the direct question from the OP which was talking about cornerig and more grip).

I think the theory is that 25mm will give you a smoother ride with not much downside (like for like tyres of course). I'm not really convinced but more knowledgable peeps than me may know.

Adam4868

Guru
Ive tried them both and can honestly say didnt notice any difference(neither did my cycle computor).For your average cyclist i dont think youd notice.Only thing i can think is im on 23 at moment and if there pumped up 110/120 you feel everything in the road.Maybe if you had 25 a bit softer it would feel a bit smoother ? Either way 23 or 25 are ok for me.

Cyclist33

I have 23s on my hybrid and 25s on the roadie. Both pumped to roughly 95psi. You can definitely feel the edgier-ness of the 23s and you can feel the road more too. But I would be happy with either and choose tyres on weight, price, logo and colour scheme.

zacklaws

Guru
After a long time thinking about the change of 23 to 25 tyres on my Madone, I finally took the plunge a few months back and choose the same type and make as my 23's, Continental GP4000S. I run them at the same pressure as I did my 23's, 120lbs and find them just as good. Cornering is more positive, they are just as fast, maybe even faster as rolling resistance is supposed to be less on a wider tyre. As I do a lot of long distance, the extra comfort is really noticable. The only disadvantages I have come across is that they are a bit harder to push into a strong headwind and it is very noticable, this supports the fact that 25mm tyres are not very good at high speeds due to the extra drag but in reverse, and also due to a smaller clearance in the frame, it could be ride over if you get a buckle in your wheel, unless your prepared to carry on riding and wear your frame away, it is this problem which makes me wonder whether to stick with 25's or go back to 23's. Another problem I came up against, was once whilst going up a steep hill, I stopped dead within less than a yard, the problem was caused by a stone getting attached to the tyre and jamming in the front fork due to the lack of clearance, a new one on me, hopefully if I had been going fast the stone would have been sent flying with centrifugal force or dragged through the fork in an instant.

One of the contributing factors for making the change was the fact a lot of pro riders have been changing to them in the Grand Tours.
If you google for the differences, there is plenty of evidence of going for the change being worthwhile.

But the best bit of advice would be to stick with the make and type of tyres that you are using or you may not notice a difference, or buy a make that is reputable to be faster than what you do have. For instance, on my cyclo cross bike, my 35mm tyres are far faster than my Bontrager 23mm and 25 mm all condition tyres, but slower than both my conti 23mm and 25mm tyres.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bikingdad90
It's interesting to hear the responses from this, looks like the main benefit of moving to 25's is that it will mainly give me the comfort factor because it's slighly wider as it can be run at a slightly lower PSI but by doing so there will be no noticable difference in rolling speed for the average joe between the two.

beeblemaster

Über Member
I've gone down from 28's to 23's, mainly so that my mudguards have more clearance. I'm running 140 PSI on the 23's (Rubino) compared to 110 PSI on the 28's (Pasela), maybe because I'm riding steel at the moment, but I can't tell any significant difference in the ride.

mustang1

Guru
I don't know what a is but a number oyears ago i moved from 23 to 25mm tires on my rave bike and the number of punctures went down considerably.

I didn't notice any more comfort because I continued using the same air pressure.

I looked for more scientific evidence, yes I know I am bit geeky. Here is the summary of what I read.
Wider tyre, 25C has less rolling resistance at the same pressures
It is faster
It is more comfortable
There are some disadvantages but those does not matter to ordinary leisure/ commuter cyclists who does 30-40 miles and not too worried about speed.
Therefore I have decided to go for 25C in my Triban 3 when I take it to on tour to Portugal in March. So I am now look out for post Christmas sale.
If you want to read about the evidence here are the links.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...ech-faq-again-bigger-tires-roll-faster_209888

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you are worried about slipping out, go get your bike out, put it in the road at a 45 degree angle and push it to try and slide it. I think you will be surprised at how hard it is, and it will give you more confidence. If you slip out because of mud or icy conditions, that is likely to happen whatever tyres you are using.

when cornering, put your outer foot down to push the bike into the tarmac ("dig in"), don't brake on a corner (always slow to the appropriate speed before hitting the corner) and pedal out of the corner.

I came off on a corner last year (because of mud) and I had 28c tyres! doing the above helped me get my confidence back.

Top Bottom