Consultation - Penalty Charge Notices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
In the Plan for Drivers, the Secretary of State for Transport announced action to address concerns about councils generating surpluses from issuing penalty charge notices (PCNs) for contraventions of moving traffic restrictions including:

no entry
no left or right turn
prohibited vehicles
unlawful entry into box junctions
driving in mandatory cycle lanes

https://www.gov.uk/government/calls...of-surplus-funds-from-traffic-contraventions?

OP
OP
S

sheddy

Legendary Member
But what is a mandatory cycle lane. ?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
But what is a mandatory cycle lane. ?

My guess would be a cycle lane separated from the main carriageway with a solid white line, rather than a dotted white line?, but, I emphasis, that is a guess.

Elsewhere, I have seen reference to what I think is the same "initiative", but quoting Bus Lanes, rather than Cycle Lanes, could it be a typo on the Government Website?

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 13.42.46.png

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
For goodness sake. Not happy with screwing the council by reducing government grants such that many are going bankrupt (of both sides of the political spectrum), they are now trying to reduce the amount they earn from car drivers who can't be bothered to follow the rules.

Sorry - a bit political there.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
They obviously use a different definition of "caught out" to me.

Is there a section for the put upon motorists to complain about ALL cyclists failing to stop for red traffic lights and NEVER getting a FPN?

Jody

Stubborn git
For goodness sake. Not happy with screwing the council by reducing government grants such that many are going bankrupt (of both sides of the political spectrum), they are now trying to reduce the amount they earn from car drivers who can't be bothered to follow the rules.

TBF motorists are a cash cow for local governments. Plenty of normal laws are broken but people don't wear number plates, so are harder to identify and fine.

It seems the deeper they dig themselves into a hole (due to budget cuts and mis-management) the more the motorist gets fined.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

TBF motorists are a cash cow for local governments. Plenty of normal laws are broken but people don't wear number plates, so are harder to identify and fine.
Hence some LAs are employing third parties to enforce PSPOs (Public Space Protection Orders)?

I have no sympathy for drivers. I do acknowledge that the fines don't really seem to change behaviour. I think people who can't comply with the terms and conditions for which they are licensed to carry out an activity, should have that license withdrawn.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

As a cyclist, a motorcyclist and a driver (of car and van), one area I would disagree with you on is bus-lanes. There does not appear to be any consistency between local authorities. I happen to live in an area where four LA's converge. Each of them have subtly different rules for bus-lanes.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
I have no sympathy for drivers.

Not sure many on here do. Same as very few have sympathy for cyclists. Maybe we should try to not see everyone on the other side as demons for the sake of coherence?

I think people who can't comply with the terms and conditions for which they are licensed to carry out an activity, should have that license withdrawn.

It's not quite as black and white as that. Are you saying something minor like a parking infringement should see you licence revoked?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I got one once. For driving in a bus lane. Completely my fault, I had a brain fart and got it confused with another bus lane nearby that was only active in peak hours Mon-Fri. It was about 6-7 am on a Saturday and a small group of drivers followed me (you could see them on the photo) probably thinking I knew something they didn't.

I did consider writing to the council asking for commission on all the other tickets I'd recruited.

Regarding the subject: It's a stupid idea. Why not gather a surplus? It's an elective tax. You choose whether to pay it. No one forced me to drive in the bus lane, so it was a fair cop and I paid up. (And was more careful next time)

Last edited:
Top Bottom