Consultation - Penalty Charge Notices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I got one once. For driving in a bus lane. Completely my fault, I had a brain fart and got it confused with another bus lane nearby that was only active in peak hours Mon-Fri. It was about 6-7 am on a Saturday and a small group of drivers followed me (you could see them on the photo) probably thinking I knew something they didn't.

I did consider writing to the council asking for commission on all the other tickets I'd recruited.

Regarding the subject: It's a stupid idea. Why not gather a surplus? It's an elective tax. You choose whether to pay it. No one forced me to drive in the bus lane, so it was a fair cop and I paid up. (And was more careful next time)

I got one once. October. Left home to visit my Mum during school half term just after 9:00, as scheduled. Got to the part where there is a bus lane, and the clock in my car showed 10:20, so I drove in the bus lane. Of course the clocks had gone back the previous weekend, so it was actually 09:20, and bus lane is in operation until 10:00.
Did the same in the next bus lane too.

My problem with bus lanes if working out whether or not they are active

ROund here there are some that were abandoned many years ago - but the markings are still there so a lot of people avoid driving in them
Hence a wide dual carriageway is treated as a single one.
In other places they have a bus lane active for peak times only

but seeing the sign giving the times and details is pretty impossible when it is so long and on the other side of the car and you are driving on a strange road in traffic

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Not sure many on here do. Same as very few have sympathy for cyclists. Maybe we should try to not see everyone on the other side as demons for the sake of coherence?

I've been driving for way more years than I'd like to admit. Every other mode of transport has been marginalised - almost entirely at the behest of driving.

There would not be a need to be sympathetic toward cyclists, pedestrian or bus drivers or rail passengers should those modes of travel be accorded the same level of subsidy, investment and consideration.

It's not quite as black and white as that. Are you saying something minor like a parking infringement should see you licence revoked?

No, I'm not saying that.
I said people who can't, not people that don't. That's the serial infringers.
It is black and white. It's not honerous to stay within the rules and if you can't operate a vehicle within those rules you shouldn't be operating it, given the inconvenience caused to other people (parking in cycle lanes and on footways) and the frequent acccidents, serious injury and death so often caused by negligence.

I think if local authorities are making hay from these fines, then some of that should be used to fund safe/secure cycle parking, public transport improvements and initiatives that improve road safety and decrease car dependence.

the snail

Guru
The framing of the questionnaire is quite scurrilous and partisan, and not worthy of a serious organisation.

In the part that asks for improvement ideas, I have put in each case that car drivers need to obey the rules. It really is as simple as that.

I suggested more camera enforcement and towing illegally parked vehicles.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've been driving for way more years than I'd like to admit. Every other mode of transport has been marginalised - almost entirely at the behest of driving.

There would not be a need to be sympathetic toward cyclists, pedestrian or bus drivers or rail passengers should those modes of travel be accorded the same level of subsidy, investment and consideration.

No, I'm not saying that.
I said people who can't, not people that don't. That's the serial infringers.
It is black and white. It's not honerous to stay within the rules and if you can't operate a vehicle within those rules you shouldn't be operating it, given the inconvenience caused to other people (parking in cycle lanes and on footways) and the frequent acccidents, serious injury and death so often caused by negligence.

I think if local authorities are making hay from these fines, then some of that should be used to fund safe/secure cycle parking, public transport improvements and initiatives that improve road safety and decrease car dependence.

Apologies then as there was no mention to serial offenders. Which of course you would look more harshly on. I'm not sure if serial parking infringements should revoke your licence but the worst should get harsher penalties than current.

This maybe a societal wide issue but there is too much of stopping something you oppose (like cars but fill in any current issue) and the hyperbolic language used around it. We all get wound up about how the motorist percieves a cyclist but ignore how we mirror the same belief with cars/drivers.

Infrastructure has been aligned for the car as they were the most efficient and convenient way to get to A to B. Problem is the network is so congested that it's becoming a big problem but as you point out there has been no leaning towards getting public transport and other methods back up to scratch. But like smoking, the government need the revenue it generates so won't be in too much of a hurry to stop it. Also like smoking, the non smokers/drivers won't be happy when the missing revenue gets shared out and put on them.

You rightly point out that the money generated is generally swallowed by the LA rather than putting it back towards the Infrastructure causing the issue. Totally agree with putting the money raised to better use.

Despite the survey questions being massive biased I have submitted my res. I don’t think my answers will be what they were hoping for.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Reading some of the proposed penalties for motoring offences, I wonder what the same peoples proposed penalties would be for other types of crime or antisocial behaviour ? eg theft, assault, dog fouling, littering, fly-tipping, etc etc ;)

the snail

Guru
Reading some of the proposed penalties for motoring offences, I wonder what the same peoples proposed penalties would be for other types of crime or antisocial behaviour ? eg theft, assault, dog fouling, littering, fly-tipping, etc etc ;)

I think the traditional punishment for dog fouling is to rub their nose in it. Fly-tippers should be shot on sight.

Top Bottom