Contact lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I thought I'd have a trial of contacts as having to use an insert in my cycling glasses is a bit cumbersome and restricts my choice of glasses hugely. I know many Pros do it this way, anyone else on here use contacts only for cycling?

I am at least a fairly simple prescription for short-sight, and after a consultation I've now got 9 pairs of daily disposable lenses to try out for free. I'm wearing a pair right now, and it is so wierd not wearing my normal glasses!

After taking 5 tries to get the test ones in, then 6 goes to remove them again, it could be interesting/frustrating at 9pm when I need to take them out again :laugh: Lets hope this is worth it. Right now, the right eye is happy, but the left eye is not so keen on having the lens there. Gahhhh!! I hope this is just a case of getting used to it.

Going for a ride tommorrow with them in for a proper test, hope that goes well :biggrin:

CRVFR

Suggest that you always wear cycling glasses (sunglasses) as well. If you get a bit of grit in your eye whilst wearing contacts it is really unpleasant. I've been wearing contacts every day since 1974 and I always wear glasses as well (clear at the moment).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What the others say, really. I've worn them for a while, mostly for cycling, or on sunny days if I want to wear sunglasses.

I'm sure the optician has told you, but be sure your hands are clean when putting them in/removing them. And you'll find that the process of putting them in/removing them does get easier with practice.

Melvil

Wot everyone else said - and also - make sure your nails are nice and short when you wear contacts. It's very easy to scratch or irritate your eyes if they're a little long when you take them out at night (especially if you're tired and a bit clumsy - like me).

I wore hard lenses back in 1990's and compared to soft contacts they were a piece of cake to put in and take out (they even pinged out into your hand when you'd got the technique right) and they also were pretty much indestructible, as my friends mum discovered when she dropped one in her garden - and her husband then *hoovered* the whole garden, sorted through the bag, gave the lens a little wash in solution and presented it back to her(!).

However, the whole world has moved over to softs now and at least they're much easier to replace if anything happens to them and you do get used to quickly putting them in and taking them out. I wear softs regularly and would also definitely advise always wearing cycling glasses.

One of the reasons I use contacts is for the choice of sunglasses it then gives me. Plus it doesn't mean having to carry prescription clears and shades around.
I've only lost lenses riding when it's been cold/windy after rubbing an eye when it's been watering when on the bike. They don't steam up at cake stops either.

My tip for putting one in - when you have it balancing on the end of your finger, use a finger on the other hand to dip into the remaining solution and put a teeny drip into the upturned lens. Put it in and the solution sort of squishes out a bit and conforms to my eyeball first time. Also makes sure any contaminants get washed away.

Hyslop

Veteran
Im sure youll find them OK after the initial newness and fiddling wears off.Hope so anyway,theyre so much easier on the bike.Oddly Ive never had any problem with grit in my eye whilst riding,thus far!However,on occasion,Ive had the impression that my left lens is lifting,due to air flow around the side of the eyepiece.This I suspect is due to the different shape of each eyeball and the shape of the glasses.Iinterestingly,it only happens with my more expensive glasses and one pair of Tifosi are particularly bad!Ive worn lenses for 30 years and most of the problems(few in reality)have been due to a poor cleaning routine.So,be a good lad and clean em!To give you an idea of how theyve changed over time,my first pair were from Conlons in Bank St.The room was downstairs and to give them a trial I had to go into Carlisle for 10 minutes and wander round.At the time,they were using pink hoses to clean pink paving in English St.My eyes were a bit teary,and I wandered round hoping not to bump into anything/fall over/inadvertently touch up big chested women,thinking all the time that Id have to navigate back by the aroma from Watts^_^.Things have improved,best of luck.

Word of warning!
Don't drink and wear contact lenses...you'll try to rip out your eyeball wondering why lens won't come out, as you don't sleep with them in. Unfortunately
You haven't realised you've already removed the lens or has fallen out at some point during the evening...heard it happened to someone some where :whistle:

OP
OP
MikeW-71

MikeW-71

Veteran
Doh,first issue :sad: Went to take them out at 9pm (only allowed to wear them 5hrs at first). Got the left one out OK, but just couldn't get the right one, took ages to get it out and now my right eye is a bit red and sore from all that messing about.

If that hasn't cleared up by morning, I guess I'm not wearing the lenses for tommorrows ride. Ho hum.

Fubar

Guru
I went to an opticians to try them a few years back, she got one in and that was as far as she got - I was desperate for her to get it back out again! Not pleasant, I'll stick with glasses.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Doh,first issue :sad: Went to take them out at 9pm (only allowed to wear them 5hrs at first). Got the left one out OK, but just couldn't get the right one, took ages to get it out and now my right eye is a bit red and sore from all that messing about.

If that hasn't cleared up by morning, I guess I'm not wearing the lenses for tommorrows ride. Ho hum.
Happened to me at first too - always the one eye that's difficult too!

Give yourself a rest, and then try again once your eye has settled down.

Top Bottom