Contact lenses.

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Regulator, 14 Jan 2018.

1. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

I’ve started wearing contact lenses (after overcoming my fear of having anything in my eyes). I’ve gone for multifocal lenses.

At the moment, I’m getting my lenses from Boots via Direct Debit. I had looked into buying lenses online direct but I can’t see that I’d actually save any money and I wouldn’t get the other stuff that’s bundled in with the Boots price.

Does anyone buy theirs directly online? Do you make significant savings?

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  2. irish on the costa blanca

irish on the costa blanca day of war = warrior, day of peace = man of peace

how are you finding the multifocal lenses, I've tried 3 different daily disposable in the multifocal and don't find them that good and the extra expense not worth it.
    I buy my contacts online and because they are daily disposables, so only need the lenses I find them cheaper than boots.

3. OP
    OP
    Regulator

I’m finding the multifocals OK. It took a few tries to get the various combinations of prescription additions right but we got there. Luckily all the trial lenses were free.

4. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

Absolutely - it's one of those items (along with glasses, amongst others) that are much cheaper online.

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

For many years I have got mine from contact lenses.co.uk
    A really good service with really good prices.

6. OP
    OP
    Regulator

Really? I read the bit on Money Saving Expert that suggests that but I can’t find my lenses online any cheaper than I’m getting them from Boots.

For example, I’m paying £43 a month with Boots but if I got them from Vision Direct I’d save a whole 2p per month. If I bought them from Tesco I’d end up paying £2 a month more. Lenstore is more expensive. Feelgood Contacts would charge me £4 a month more.

The only supplier I’ve found that would produce a significant saving (enough to equate to the add ons I get included with the Boots plan) is Daysoft but it’s not clear if they provide multifocal lenses.

If anyone can suggest an online supplier to look at I’d be grateful.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    Regulator

I looked at them. I’d end up paying £17 a month more! :eek:

They charge £30 a box as opposed the £21.50 from Boots. And with Boots I get the check ups and discounted glasses included (plus discounts on other Boots stuff if I wanted).

8. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Tesco recently got bought by VisionExpress if that has any bearing

If happy with the Boots service, stick with them

9. Bonefish Blues

Yes, IME, which is why I posted thus. I search the cheapest supplier at the time. If Boots has changed its pricing to compete, that's great.

10. OP
    OP
    Regulator

This seems a rather categorical statement:

11. Bonefish Blues

I buy mine online. I believe it to be cheaper. You find Boots competitive. I shall take a look at their prices as a result of your post.

I'm really not looking for an argument at 10am on a Sunday morning, having been requested to share my view by you.

12. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

Asda opticians may be worth looking at, my single vision monthlies are £12 for a box of 3 lenses, these are the cheapest I’ve found online. Contact lenses.co.uk charge £14.50 for the same lenses so @ianrauk it may be worth comparing prices.
    https://opticians.asda.com/Contact-Lenses

13. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

Do you buy monthly lenses?
    What type/brand?

14. OP
    OP
    Regulator

Dailies at the moment. Acuvue Moist Multifocal. They have a mid range addition which suits me.

I may try weeklies/monthlies further down the line.

15. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice