Contact lenses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Absolutely - it's one of those items (along with glasses, amongst others) that are much cheaper online.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tesco recently got bought by VisionExpress if that has any bearing

If happy with the Boots service, stick with them

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Really? I read the bit on Money Saving Expert that suggests that but I can’t find my lenses online any cheaper than I’m getting them from Boots.

For example, I’m paying £43 a month with Boots but if I got them from Vision Direct I’d save a whole 2p per month. If I bought them from Tesco I’d end up paying £2 a month more. Lenstore is more expensive. Feelgood Contacts would charge me £4 a month more.

The only supplier I’ve found that would produce a significant saving (enough to equate to the add ons I get included with the Boots plan) is Daysoft but it’s not clear if they provide multifocal lenses.

If anyone can suggest an online supplier to look at I’d be grateful.
Yes, IME, which is why I posted thus. I search the cheapest supplier at the time. If Boots has changed its pricing to compete, that's great.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
This seems a rather categorical statement:
I buy mine online. I believe it to be cheaper. You find Boots competitive. I shall take a look at their prices as a result of your post.

I'm really not looking for an argument at 10am on a Sunday morning, having been requested to share my view by you.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I’ve started wearing contact lenses (after overcoming my fear of having anything in my eyes). I’ve gone for multifocal lenses.

At the moment, I’m getting my lenses from Boots via Direct Debit. I had looked into buying lenses online direct but I can’t see that I’d actually save any money and I wouldn’t get the other stuff that’s bundled in with the Boots price.

Does anyone buy theirs directly online? Do you make significant savings?
Do you buy monthly lenses?
What type/brand?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Dailies at the moment. Acuvue Moist Multifocal. They have a mid range addition which suits me.

I may try weeklies/monthlies further down the line.
They are quite expensive, £42 for 30 pairs at Asda, I don’t know what you Pay?
https://opticians.asda.com/Contact-Lenses/Johnson-&-Johnson/1-Day-Acuvue-Moist-Multifocal

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I use Lens Store online. Saved 66.66% on the exact kit from the high street. You get free eye checks with various Opticians to keep your prescription up to date.

After a chainsaw injury a year ago I started wearing monthly disposables after an emergency check up. I have never looked back and the quality of my life has really improved. And my descent speed on my bike.

Elysian_Roads

Thanks all for the useful thread. Am back to wearing contact lenses on a more ad-hoc basis, as I don't particularly like riding with my spectacles. Previously used an optician with a monthly plan, so got the benefit of discounts and checkups. But for the more random purchases I will be making, the internet suppliers may be the cheaper option. Will check out Asda, @Spiderweb, then go from there.

Top Bottom