Contact lenses.

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Regulator, 14 Jan 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

£43 - and that includes the check ups and discounted glasses.

2. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

I think I’d stick with boots as it sounds a good deal. A contact lense eye check costs me £29!

3. OP
    OP
    Regulator

How often do you have them? I’ve been told I should have one at least every six months.

4. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

5. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

Annually I think is the norm but it sounds good advise to have another check in 6 months if you have just started wearing lenses.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2018
  6. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I use Lens Store online. Saved 66.66% on the exact kit from the high street. You get free eye checks with various Opticians to keep your prescription up to date.

After a chainsaw injury a year ago I started wearing monthly disposables after an emergency check up. I have never looked back and the quality of my life has really improved. And my descent speed on my bike.

7. OP
    OP
    Regulator

John the Monkey likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Regulator

For me they cost slightly more per month from Lenstore. Although their package includes the free check ups, the discount on glasses is much lower than that offered by Boots.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  9. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

My mistake, that’s expensive!

10. Elysian_Roads

Elysian_Roads Well-Known Member

Thanks all for the useful thread. Am back to wearing contact lenses on a more ad-hoc basis, as I don't particularly like riding with my spectacles. Previously used an optician with a monthly plan, so got the benefit of discounts and checkups. But for the more random purchases I will be making, the internet suppliers may be the cheaper option. Will check out Asda, @Spiderweb, then go from there.

11. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Reg, is your contact lens prescription for multifocals the same as your glasses prescription? I fancy giving them a try as I've largely given up on contact lenses now due to not being able to see close up with them.

12. OP
    OP
    Regulator

No. A glasses and contact lens prescription are different, because of where the lens is positioned. You have to see a lens dispensing optician to get the correct lens prescription (not all opticians are lens dispensers).

The high street chains (Boots, SpecSavers, Vision Express etc) will normally give you a lens consultation for free and a free trial.

13. Crackle

Crackle Pah

Ah, OK. Mine were the same the last time I had it done but my eyes aren't so bad, however things will almost certainly have changed now, plus I imagine the multifocals require you to wear them and get used to them, so no good for casual use.

14. Andrew_P

Andrew_P In between here and there

Blimey they hit you for Vari Focals. My Optician powered up my dominant eye by +.5 more than it needed it seemed to work for me for close reading. I always got upsold to the newer super douper lens and got a small trial pack, I always went back to the basic dailies as they were the most comfortable. Annual review for me. Costco were the owrst for upselling even tried to tell me my eyes were suffering for too many hours use for basic lens. When I let my membership expire and went to an independent they said my eyes looked fine and to wear what was most comfortable.

15. Annually has always been the norm for me, and I too use Boots.

I find it convenient, not that bothered if I could save a few quid online as I like the service, the discounts on glasses and you also get 10% off any other Boot's branded stuff, as well as free eye tests and the annual contact lens check up.

Mine are fortnightly ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice