Contact lenses.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reg, is your contact lens prescription for multifocals the same as your glasses prescription? I fancy giving them a try as I've largely given up on contact lenses now due to not being able to see close up with them.

No. A glasses and contact lens prescription are different, because of where the lens is positioned. You have to see a lens dispensing optician to get the correct lens prescription (not all opticians are lens dispensers).

The high street chains (Boots, SpecSavers, Vision Express etc) will normally give you a lens consultation for free and a free trial.
Ah, OK. Mine were the same the last time I had it done but my eyes aren't so bad, however things will almost certainly have changed now, plus I imagine the multifocals require you to wear them and get used to them, so no good for casual use.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Blimey they hit you for Vari Focals. My Optician powered up my dominant eye by +.5 more than it needed it seemed to work for me for close reading. I always got upsold to the newer super douper lens and got a small trial pack, I always went back to the basic dailies as they were the most comfortable. Annual review for me. Costco were the owrst for upselling even tried to tell me my eyes were suffering for too many hours use for basic lens. When I let my membership expire and went to an independent they said my eyes looked fine and to wear what was most comfortable.

potsy

Rambler
How often do you have them? I’ve been told I should have one at least every six months.
Annually has always been the norm for me, and I too use Boots.

I find it convenient, not that bothered if I could save a few quid online as I like the service, the discounts on glasses and you also get 10% off any other Boot's branded stuff, as well as free eye tests and the annual contact lens check up.

Mine are fortnightly ones.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I get mine from Daysoft and they are ludicrously cheap, but that's not much use to you if they don't do multifocals. There is also the disadvantage that's it's too easy to just keep re-ordering and forgetting to bother with check-ups etc - my prescription is way out of date.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I had to get a new contact lens in November after breaking one. It was at least 10 years old, having been supplied by my previous optician.
The replacement cost £80.
If cost is important, your prescription doesn't change and you're not in the habit of losing them get gas permeable lenses.

postman

Legendary Member
I have just started wearing a painted or coloured one.It stops my double vision by blocking out all light.Got to say it is very strange it's like being blind in that eye.Taking it out is easy.Putting it in ,well in the hospital i did it without problems,At home it's taking four or five attempts.Mind you i am stood up at the bathroom mirror.Rather than sitting down at the hospital.i think i will get one free every six months.the saline will come from Wilkos 360 ml.and the lens cleaner from Superdrug so about £10 a month.I do have one question to ask in May.It's about wearing it only when i need it,or has it to be worn all day.I only get double vision watching telly or when up close to people,it's all very strange.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My plan includes free eye tests, contact lens checkups & free single vision glasses. (With specsavers). I only wear mine at weekends, and on holiday, so the offer on glasses is useful.

I've never found an online provider that competes, fwiw.

eugenevdw

I buy my lenses online and it always saves me a few bucks, even with the shipping cost. The convenience is nice too. I wear the 2 week Hydraclear clenses. I wear them for two months though without any problems. Just make sure you wash them every day and store in clean liquid. I'm sure your optomotrist will have a heart attack if you mention this to him though. :-)

Top Bottom